Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A few lost phone questions--including what state indicates Notify When Found is active?

I put my phone in lost mode after leaving it on the bus, and I want to enable Notify When Found. But I can't tell which state is enabled vs disabled. Tapping toggles it between green background and transparent background. Also I see 2 identical devices for this lost phone, and I'm able to change the lost phone options for each device, even though I only have the one device. I also did an Apple password reset and it says it sent the verification code to ALL my devices. Does that mean the person who has my phone could use it to change my Apple ID password? For the record, the phone has been lost for weeks and still shows offline (and I reported to service provider), but today I got an email that said someone requested that activation lock be removed. And it wasn't me.

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 2:29 PM

So someone found it. Ignore any messages that say it has been found; they are phishing messages to get you to unlock Activation Lock.

Regarding the password reset, if you put the phone in Lost mode it won’t get authorization codes. And an auth code is necessary but not sufficient to change your Apple ID. What is also needed is your Apple ID and password. So 3 things. And your Apple ID will not be known to a finder unless you didn’t have a passcode on your phone.

See this Apple support article—>If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2019 2:29 PM in response to tenminutemile

So someone found it. Ignore any messages that say it has been found; they are phishing messages to get you to unlock Activation Lock.

Regarding the password reset, if you put the phone in Lost mode it won’t get authorization codes. And an auth code is necessary but not sufficient to change your Apple ID. What is also needed is your Apple ID and password. So 3 things. And your Apple ID will not be known to a finder unless you didn’t have a passcode on your phone.

See this Apple support article—>If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2019 6:01 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks! I did put it in lost mode but it still says pending because I guess it hasn't been connected to the Internet since I lost it. Still not sure why it shows my phone twice in Find My Phone. But both are set to lost. From what I read, I should probably go ahead and erase the device but not remove it from my account, so that they can't reactivate it. It had a pass code.

A few lost phone questions--including what state indicates Notify When Found is active?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.