Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 device to macbook mid-2012 with adapter?

I am trapped faster than expected, not ready to replace computer, but have an eye on AUDIO INTERFACE (Apollo) which is Thunderbolt 3 (backward compatible to TB2 and I think TB1 as well) and need to know if that would work with my MBP mid-2012 (i7, SSD, 16GB ram)

Now, I know I was able to use an Apple adapter Thunderbolt to Firewire device straight from the miniDisplay with my other audio interface (FW) (RME Fireface).

NOW: Would a TB3 audio interface work (with proper adapter(s) to the MBP mid-2012 ? (that would mean likely the use of an adapter miniDisplay to TB3 or a combination to arrive there) ? (or TB to USB ??)

I will eventually change computer (likely next Summer) but my immediate choice of an interface depends on being able to use it from now on...

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2019 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:14 PM

lanstrad1 wrote:
1) Now, is mid-2012 TB 1 or TB 2 ? And are there adapters for TB3 to TB1 « and » adapters for TB3 ro TB2 ? Or these are the same?

2) this would also leaves me with another issue: once used for the interface, i am stuck with just my 13 inches screen - no way to connect to an external monitor, right?

It's Thunderbolt 1. All the mid-2012 models (including Retina) are Thunderbolt 1, although the Retina models have two of them (but no FireWire port).

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

Connections and Expansion

• Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

Thunderbolt 2 starts showing up in later versions of the MacBook Pro, like this one:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

As for an external display and using a Thunderbolt device, I think it might be possible to use an adapter/hub/dock to do that. It might be pretty expensive though. The #1 dock on this list is $500.

https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-thunderbolt-2-docks/

This one from Belkin is $299 and can connect up to two displays. Not sure why there's not picture of the back, but I've seen some that show that the back has ethernet, two USB-A ports, two Thunderbolt 2 ports, and an HDMI output.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 10:14 PM in response to lanstrad1

lanstrad1 wrote:
1) Now, is mid-2012 TB 1 or TB 2 ? And are there adapters for TB3 to TB1 « and » adapters for TB3 ro TB2 ? Or these are the same?

2) this would also leaves me with another issue: once used for the interface, i am stuck with just my 13 inches screen - no way to connect to an external monitor, right?

It's Thunderbolt 1. All the mid-2012 models (including Retina) are Thunderbolt 1, although the Retina models have two of them (but no FireWire port).

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

Connections and Expansion

• Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

Thunderbolt 2 starts showing up in later versions of the MacBook Pro, like this one:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - Technical Specifications

As for an external display and using a Thunderbolt device, I think it might be possible to use an adapter/hub/dock to do that. It might be pretty expensive though. The #1 dock on this list is $500.

https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-thunderbolt-2-docks/

This one from Belkin is $299 and can connect up to two displays. Not sure why there's not picture of the back, but I've seen some that show that the back has ethernet, two USB-A ports, two Thunderbolt 2 ports, and an HDMI output.

Dec 14, 2019 10:09 AM in response to lanstrad1

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <--> Thunderbolt-2 adapter connects many ThunderBolt devices, but does not supply POWER across the adapter in either direction. Additional adapters such as ones for Ethernet or FireWire-800 can be stacked.

It provides Display support ONLY for genuine Thunderbolt displays, NO OTHERS can be used with this adapter. No additional Display adapters can be "stacked" on this adapter or in general.

Dec 13, 2019 9:16 PM in response to y_p_w

Thanks for this. Indeed, i also asked to UA, will see what they advise. Just afraid they won’t want to stand by the idea and stick to official requirements....

my other concern is if it is worth to invest $3k in that when every mac iteration now drops the previous TB protocol.... Not that i intend to switch macs either every 3 years (at the price tag these now appear....), but i certainly don’t intend to switch both a $2k or $3k interface at same time ....

Dec 16, 2019 9:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder,

indeed, now i see that TB icon. I always interpreted it was a TB port, until starting to read people saying it wasn’t, but was « miniDisplay » and if not mistaken, i believe the specs on Apple site also say it this eay.

I would eventually buy another computer, likely an upgraded mac mini, but if i need to do it now, that forces me to go for an inferior model of audio interface... if i could avoid to be forced to buy both at same time, i’d go for an higher-end model....

Thunderbolt 3 device to macbook mid-2012 with adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.