Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UR22C to Thunderbolt 4

Hello, I have just ordered my Mac mini M2 Pro.
Will I be able to plug the steinberg UR22C audio interface directly into the thunderbolt 4? UR22C uses USB 3.0 port. Can I use a usb c cable from my audio interface (usb 3.0) directly to the Thunderbolt 4 port on the Mac mini?

Thank you,
Jacques

Mac mini (2023 with M2 Pro)

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 6:20 PM

Yes, JacquesRabbit, you will be able to plug your steinberg UR22C into your Mac mini m2 Pro.. the support page for the steinberg is here: https://www.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur22c/

you’ll probably have to install some software for it, check for and install firmware updates for it ( if there are any) and then get it setup under Audio Midi Setup, which should be in the “Utilities” folder on your hard drive…luckily Thunderbolt 4 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3 so you’re good to go there) ( dunno about Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2, you’d probably have to use a TB3 to TB converter) but seeing as how you now have an M2 pro Mac mini no converter is needed

john B

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 6:20 PM in response to JacquesRabbit

Yes, JacquesRabbit, you will be able to plug your steinberg UR22C into your Mac mini m2 Pro.. the support page for the steinberg is here: https://www.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur22c/

you’ll probably have to install some software for it, check for and install firmware updates for it ( if there are any) and then get it setup under Audio Midi Setup, which should be in the “Utilities” folder on your hard drive…luckily Thunderbolt 4 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 3 so you’re good to go there) ( dunno about Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2, you’d probably have to use a TB3 to TB converter) but seeing as how you now have an M2 pro Mac mini no converter is needed

john B

Feb 11, 2023 1:03 PM in response to Johnb-one

Hello, my UR22C audio interface has a usb 3.0 port. My Mac mini M2 Pro uses Thubderbolt 4 ports. Question: Which cable to use (USB-C or Thunderbolt 4)? I have the impression that it is useless to spend for a thunderbolt 4 cable while my UR22C interface uses a USB 3.0 port!!! I have doubts about the speed gained. I'm not sure I fully understand the speed gain by using a Thunderbot 4 cable.

thank you for your collaboration.

Jacques Coutu

Feb 13, 2023 3:00 PM in response to JacquesRabbit

Yup, you're correct (* I belive) there will be no great advantage in getting a Thunderbolt 4 USB-C cable for something with a USB 3.0 port on it.... So, USB-C to USB 3.0 should work fine.... I've sent you an Amazon link to one such cable...https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Durability-Samsung-MacBook/dp/B01M5GMZ6X/ref=sr_1_6?crid=GPRH8L5WKHGH&keywords=USB-C+to+USB+3.0+cable&qid=1676329177&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011&rnid=1248877011&s=electronics&sprefix=usb-c+to+usb+3.0+cable%2Caps%2C143&sr=1-6

John B

UR22C to Thunderbolt 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.