iMac M3 with two Thunderbolt 4

can i use two thunderbolt 4 usb c cable connected at same time, one is connected to magic track pad for charging another slot to use usc c cable to usb b to output audio signal to my machitosh amplifier dac listen to music?will it works at same time ?

iMac (M3, 2023)

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 11:04 AM

That should work.

A USB-C connector can provide different protocols and different cables, depending on the wiring behind the port, and the wiring in the cable. That can include USB 3 and USB 4 communications, and USB power delivery at various wattages, as well as Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4.

Your Magic Trackpad is here using USB for its connection and for charging, not Thunderbolt. You could certainly use a USB-C Thunderbolt cable for that Magic Trackpad connection (as a Thunderbolt cable also passes USB), but there are less expensive cables available.

I don’t know what the DAC uses for its host connection; whether that uses Thunderbolt or USB. But you do have a port here that can support both. You will need the proper cable for that DAC. Check with the DAC vendor for cable details.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 11:04 AM in response to choo288

That should work.

A USB-C connector can provide different protocols and different cables, depending on the wiring behind the port, and the wiring in the cable. That can include USB 3 and USB 4 communications, and USB power delivery at various wattages, as well as Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4.

Your Magic Trackpad is here using USB for its connection and for charging, not Thunderbolt. You could certainly use a USB-C Thunderbolt cable for that Magic Trackpad connection (as a Thunderbolt cable also passes USB), but there are less expensive cables available.

I don’t know what the DAC uses for its host connection; whether that uses Thunderbolt or USB. But you do have a port here that can support both. You will need the proper cable for that DAC. Check with the DAC vendor for cable details.

iMac M3 with two Thunderbolt 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.