Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect a USB audio device to Thunderbolt 3

I have a Macbook Pro mid '15 15". I use a USB audio DAC for sound. I connect my device directly on a USB A port. I previously connected the DAC through a USB hub and it worked well for awhile. Now, it no longer work using an USB hub for an unknown reason as the sound get very chunky. So I have to connect the DAC directly to the Mac to make it work properly.

I'm interested to know if my DAC will continue to work on a new Macbook Pro 16" if I use an thunderbolt 3 to USB A adapter? I am afraid the sound may get very chunky if I use an adapter.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:02 AM

I have the adapter now and it is working very well with my new 16" Macbook Pro. 😀

Curiously, I can connect my USB audio device through a USB hub using the 16" Macbook and it is work well too. But I cannot do the same with 15" Mid '15 Macbook Pro neither with my 13" '14 Macbook Pro because the sound is very chunky. When I am using any of the last two, I can see in the sound output preferences the audio device appearing and disappearing as I try to play something like for 2 seconds it is there and 2 seconds later is gone and the cycle repeat itself.

Could it be that the new 16" Macbook Pro has a different controller not having these issues? Or maybe I have more traffic going on the USB network.

I am using a 7 in 1 USB C Hub Adapter from ZMUIPNG.

I had to reply with Chrome. The Reply does not work when using Firefox.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 10:02 AM in response to Kappy

I have the adapter now and it is working very well with my new 16" Macbook Pro. 😀

Curiously, I can connect my USB audio device through a USB hub using the 16" Macbook and it is work well too. But I cannot do the same with 15" Mid '15 Macbook Pro neither with my 13" '14 Macbook Pro because the sound is very chunky. When I am using any of the last two, I can see in the sound output preferences the audio device appearing and disappearing as I try to play something like for 2 seconds it is there and 2 seconds later is gone and the cycle repeat itself.

Could it be that the new 16" Macbook Pro has a different controller not having these issues? Or maybe I have more traffic going on the USB network.

I am using a 7 in 1 USB C Hub Adapter from ZMUIPNG.

I had to reply with Chrome. The Reply does not work when using Firefox.

How to connect a USB audio device to Thunderbolt 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.