Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 2 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter?

I've got a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina with two Thunderbolt 1 ports. I also have an issue where the audio that is supposed to go to a USB port winds up going to the internal speakers intermittently. This is a widely known issue that has been around for several years and something that Apple has never addressed. It does NOT happen with USB 3 ports, but this computer does not have them. Anyway, at one time I had an adapter that allowed me to plug a USB 2 device into the Thunderbolt 2 port and that audio issue was solved. Unfortunately, I've managed to misplace that adapter. :-(

Does anyone know where I can get a similar adapter? I've scoured Amazon and other sites but have not been able to to uncover a source for such a device.

Thanks, Jim

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 15, 2021 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 8:02 PM

Stampguy wrote:

I've got a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina ...... It does NOT happen with USB 3 ports, but this computer does not have them.

FYI, All of the 2012 MacBook Pros have USB3 ports.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 8:02 PM in response to Stampguy

Stampguy wrote:

I've got a mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina ...... It does NOT happen with USB 3 ports, but this computer does not have them.

FYI, All of the 2012 MacBook Pros have USB3 ports.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications

May 15, 2021 8:40 PM in response to Stampguy

Yes and no. The built-in Keyboard and Trackpad use an internal USB2 controller connection. The external USB ports should support USB3 as shown on the technical specifications of the Apple articles I linked previously. Keep in mind if you connect a USB2 or USB1 device you may not see any information regarding USB3 in the System Profiler.

USB 2 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.