Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina, APFS and Disk Utility

Hey all.

I have a string of issues that I'm trying to move through to get Catalina operating. It won't install because the SSD in my mac mini is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I have read a bunch of forums so know that I need to reboot in recovery mode, unmount the drive and then select "Convert to APFS". Unfortunately, when I reboot in recovery mode, I seem to get an old Mountain Lion version of Disk Utility which means that option is not there. It's there when go to Disk Utility when normally logged in (I'm running Mojave), but greyed out. I know this is going to be something stupid like I'm holding down the wrong keys when rebooting or something..... But 4 hours in I'm giving up and asking :)

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 8:40 AM

Try booting into Internet Recovery using Cmd-Opt-R.

Booting into regular recovery is still booting from the drive that needs to be converted. I don't think it can convert the drive while booted into a portion of it.

Similar questions

1 reply

Catalina, APFS and Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.