Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Install MacOS Catalina

First of all. My computer is a MacBook Air 13" early 2014 with the MacOS Mojave

As we all know, MacOS Catalina require the SSD (or HD) to be formatted in APFS. However I can't do it.

I've made a few attempts.

1- Tried to convert without loosing any files. I did it by entering the recovering mode (while restarting, hold cmd+R). By doing it, I should reach the disk utility. where I should be able to unmount the partition and convert it to APFS.

something like that

Instead, What came to my screen was an old design recovering mode. I went to disk utility anyway, but there wasn't the option to convert to APFS (my thought is that's because the system was older than the APFS style of formatting, even though my system is Mojave).

2- I tried just to make a partition in my ssd in apfs (without converting in restore mode). It worked, but when I tried to install the OS, I got a message telling me I needed an firmware update in the partition,

in order to install it.

Hope somebody can help me

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 12:12 PM

You cannot convert an HFS+ formatted disk to APFS if there is data on the disk. You must erase the disk in order to make the conversion. First, you must backup all your files.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the current version of macOS - Catalina.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 12:12 PM in response to RafaelMotta

You cannot convert an HFS+ formatted disk to APFS if there is data on the disk. You must erase the disk in order to make the conversion. First, you must backup all your files.

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the current version of macOS - Catalina.

Can't Install MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.