Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i think i have a browser virus

a few weeks ago I wanted to download adobe reader, mid download I decided it was taking too long so I stopped the download. I got a weird search engine that wasn't google, and was redirecting me to a safe search yahoo browser. I googled on my phone how to get rid of it and I seemingly did for the time being. Forward to recently downloading iOS Mojave, my MacBook is considerably slower and the redirection of the browser is back and this time I can't seem to get rid of it. I bought my Mac from a refurbishing company a year or two ago so I have no warranty or anything. Any ideas on how to get rid of the SafeFinder/Landslide search?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 6:24 AM

There are no viruses on a Mac, unless one arrived in an infected Microsoft document, in which case it would not execute on the Mac anyway. Here is the only trusted (Adobe) download source for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

You probably have one or more adware/malware infestations on your Mac that may be affecting your browser, and could have changed your search engine too. Download and run the free Malwarebytes for Mac. It is purpose built to detect and remove adware and other non-virus malware. I am not affiliated with the vendor.

See also: Effective defenses against malware and other threats

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2019 6:24 AM in response to slazzzz

There are no viruses on a Mac, unless one arrived in an infected Microsoft document, in which case it would not execute on the Mac anyway. Here is the only trusted (Adobe) download source for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

You probably have one or more adware/malware infestations on your Mac that may be affecting your browser, and could have changed your search engine too. Download and run the free Malwarebytes for Mac. It is purpose built to detect and remove adware and other non-virus malware. I am not affiliated with the vendor.

See also: Effective defenses against malware and other threats

i think i have a browser virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.