Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan app - how to get the app?

I'm trying to create a bootable drive to Install El Capitan in and old MacBookPro 2009. The file that i can download from Apple is a dmg that when i double click i get the pkg file. How do i get the "Install OS X El Capitan.app" that is needed to then use the terminal command createinstallmedia?

Thanks

PS: the macOS recovery does not fully work. I get a message indicating that some of the components could not be found.

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 10:20 PM

Ok so you have downloaded InstallMacOSX.dmg, and you have opened that to Install MacOSX.pkg.

Double-click on that and an installation window will open, follow the prompts. This does not install

El Capitan but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which will appear

in your Application folder, it is this you use to create the bootable USB installer.

You can only do this on Macs that can install El Capitan, any Macs that came new with macOS Sierra

or a later OS preinstalled will not be allowed to convert the .pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

This is pretty dumb of Apple, as many Mac owners might need to use newer Macs to create bootable

installers for older Macs that have experienced difficulties.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2019 10:20 PM in response to rescalm

Ok so you have downloaded InstallMacOSX.dmg, and you have opened that to Install MacOSX.pkg.

Double-click on that and an installation window will open, follow the prompts. This does not install

El Capitan but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which will appear

in your Application folder, it is this you use to create the bootable USB installer.

You can only do this on Macs that can install El Capitan, any Macs that came new with macOS Sierra

or a later OS preinstalled will not be allowed to convert the .pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

This is pretty dumb of Apple, as many Mac owners might need to use newer Macs to create bootable

installers for older Macs that have experienced difficulties.

Dec 18, 2019 2:00 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thank you very much for your help. I had tried that before, but my Macbook pro is from 2017 and the message i got was that El Capitan could not be installed. I though the issue was that I'm running Catalina, but in reality the issue was the HW is "too new" for El Capitan. I run the install as you pointed out in my wife's macbook Air, and i had no issues getting the application.

Again, thanks for you help. The only new thing is that the install in the old Mac could not be done with an USB drive, i had to use a regular HD. I had to install the drive internally, and then the installation of the OS took place on an external hard drive connected through the USB port. Once the installation was done, I removed the HDD that i had used as startup disk, and installed the drive i had on the USB as destination of the install. All is good now. Thanks

Marcelo

El Capitan app - how to get the app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.