Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to click twice

I've noticed lately that when I launch Mail or iTunes and other apps by clicking on the icon in the dock that the application window doesn't open. I have to click again and then the window opens. Not a big deal, but does anyone know the reason this would happen and how to fix it. It happens on all three of my apple systems - two iMacs and a MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2019 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 9:34 PM

The first click opens the app. The second click opens its window. I know that doesn't make sense, and that behavior is inconsistent with most other Apple apps. Safari does it too.

You might be able to mitigate that behavior by toggling System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app.

Or, use full screen. Or, just don't quit apps. It's not really necessary anyway.

Or perhaps there is no way to fix it. macOS is going the way of iOS, and no one gives any thought to "quitting" iOS apps. It's becoming an antiquated concept.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2019 9:34 PM in response to iMacarroni

The first click opens the app. The second click opens its window. I know that doesn't make sense, and that behavior is inconsistent with most other Apple apps. Safari does it too.

You might be able to mitigate that behavior by toggling System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an app.

Or, use full screen. Or, just don't quit apps. It's not really necessary anyway.

Or perhaps there is no way to fix it. macOS is going the way of iOS, and no one gives any thought to "quitting" iOS apps. It's becoming an antiquated concept.

Have to click twice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.