Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

double click on mail icon in dock does not open mail

When I double click on the mail icon in the dock mail does not open. I have to go to the mail app and open it. what could I have done to make this happen? Other apps in the dock such as Safari, TextEdit, numbers and maps open with a double click.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 1, 2021 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 7:37 PM

hotbaba Said:

"Thanks for responding, but... surprise Mail was NOT a login item. Any further thoughts?"

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Try Adding Mail to your Login Items:

1. Go to:  System Preferences > Users & Groups > User Name > Login Items
  2. Click: the “+“ button
  3. Select: an Mail
  4. Click: Add button
  5. Try logging out, then back in.

B. Elsewise, it seems the Mail app is corrupt.

Request Instructions from Apple: Researching this it seems you need to rebuild the Mail Index. Contact Apple Support, asking which files to delete, and how so. How to Reset It:

1. Move: a few folders (not their internal files) into Trash
  2. log: out
  3. log: back in
  4. try this once more

Apple Support Contact Info:

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2021 7:37 PM in response to hotbaba

hotbaba Said:

"Thanks for responding, but... surprise Mail was NOT a login item. Any further thoughts?"

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Try Adding Mail to your Login Items:

2. Click: the “+“ button
  3. Select: an Mail
  4. Click: Add button
  5. Try logging out, then back in.

B. Elsewise, it seems the Mail app is corrupt.

Request Instructions from Apple: Researching this it seems you need to rebuild the Mail Index. Contact Apple Support, asking which files to delete, and how so. How to Reset It:

1. Move: a few folders (not their internal files) into Trash
  2. log: out
  3. log: back in
  4. try this once more

Apple Support Contact Info:

Note: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

May 1, 2021 9:45 AM in response to hotbaba

hotbaba Said:

"double click on mail icon in dock does not open mail: When I double click on the mail icon in the dock mail does not open. I have to go to the mail app and open it. what could I have done to make this happen? Other apps in the dock such as Safari, TextEdit, numbers and maps open with a double click."

-------

Managing This:

If your Mail is not opening, remove it as a login item, and force quit any non-responding items.

I. Remove Mail from Login Items:

2. Select: an Item
  3. Click: the “—“ button
  4. Approve: of the removal in the popup window.

II. Force Quit the Mail:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: Mail (an all other applications ending in "(Not Responding)"
  4. Click: Force Quit button
  5. Click: Force Quit button
  6. Perform: the same for each item

May 2, 2021 10:25 AM in response to hotbaba

hotbaba wrote:

When I double click on the mail icon in the dock mail does not open. I have to go to the mail app and open it. what could I have done to make this happen? Other apps in the dock such as Safari, TextEdit, numbers and maps open with a double click.

Drag the Mail icon off the Dock

and drag a new mail.app from the Applications folder back down to the Dock for a refreshed icon

double click on mail icon in dock does not open mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.