Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Mid 2014, Mojave. Freezes.

Struggling with some strange behavior on why MPB mid 2014.

I recently replaced the battery and it had been running rock solid. About 5 days ago I was watching a YouTube video and the MBP completely froze. No movement of cursor. Had to do a force restart.

Since that time, every time I restart it things look to be running okay for about 5 minutes. Opening an app, doing some keyboard presses etc cause it to freeze. If I wait long enough it will usually power down on it's own. No peripherals attached. I've reset the SMC. Tried it with the power adapt. I've run Apple Diagnostics with no issues reported. I've run Etrecheck. No reported issues. I've confirmed the fans are working as well.

Yesterday I wiped the drive and reinstalled Mojave. It ran for 24 hours with four windows of youtube videos running and a half dozen apps running - including iTunes.

Everything was fine until I sat down and did some key presses, open some windows etc. beachball and then a freeze.

Any thoughts...?

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 10:29 AM

Thanks. Feeling a bit silly now. I found the problem.

I opened to case up to make sure none of the connections have come loose. The RIGHT IO board wasn't plugged in at all and been placed OVER the connector cable, hiding it.

Talk about a major goof. Did it when putting in a new battery a few weeks ago. Running solid again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2019 10:29 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks. Feeling a bit silly now. I found the problem.

I opened to case up to make sure none of the connections have come loose. The RIGHT IO board wasn't plugged in at all and been placed OVER the connector cable, hiding it.

Talk about a major goof. Did it when putting in a new battery a few weeks ago. Running solid again.

Dec 15, 2019 9:49 AM in response to Jolly Blackburn1

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

You can post your Kernel Panic report in their entirety here, preferable three separate reports in three separate "Additional Text" box (see menu below) for ease of reading and comparison. A single report may be useful but does not establish a trend for a meaningful diagnosis.

Kernel Panic reports can be found /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

From the Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

ends in .panic post the whole report if it meets that.

MacBook Mid 2014, Mojave. Freezes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.