Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation error: upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra

I have Mac Mini, late 2012. I want to upgrade OS from Sierra to High Sierra. Everything goes fine, just it all stops right before the first restart. Error message is installation error ("An error ocured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."). I tried a couple of times but the error message appears always at the same moment and suspends the upgrade.

I upgraded to Sierra recently without any problems. Swithed off and on my Mac a couple of times. I also disconned the comp from electricity for a while. I also tried to upgrade directly to Mojave, but there is identical problem.

Thanks for help.

Posted on Dec 15, 2019 12:37 PM

9 replies

Dec 22, 2019 9:22 AM in response to Jenda20

I suspect that, like HWTech, that your mini's internal drive may be corrupted or failing. I again suggest that you boot up your Mac in Recovery Mode, and then, use the First Aid option in the Disk Utility to see if any errors are reported. Should you not be able to enter this mode could mean that the Recovery partition is either missing or corrupted. In that case you would need to boot up your mini in Single-User mode. Then enter the following in the command prompt that will be displayed:

/sbin/fsck -fy <enter>

Let it run and see if any errors are reported.

Dec 16, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Jenda20

The next option would be to create a new user account. Log out of your existing account, and then, log back in with the new account. Try running the installer again. If it still fails, it may be possible that your mini's drive may be damaged. If that may be the case, try using Disk Utility's First Aid process to detect and repair it.

Dec 22, 2019 5:23 AM in response to Tesserax

I tried SMC reset already earlier. So I repeated it (disconnecting from electricity for at least 15 seconds, pushing power for 5 sec). Unfortuately, did not help.

I also tried Apple Diagnostics (power + D). There was rotating globe for about 2 mins and error message appeared:

Error: 0x800...003

CANNOT LOAD 'EFI/Drivers/TestSupport.efi'

Status S:0x000...03

Dots (...) mean many zeros (0). What does it mean? Thanks.

Installation error: upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.