Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Boot Headaches - Can I run Mojave and an older OS?

Hey there,

So I just bought a new MacBook Pro 2019, running Mojave.

I'm trying to install an older OS as a dual boot, in order to be able to run FCP 7 for a very old but large feature film project.

It's saying it won't allow me to do this. I tried ordering OS Lion but its saying it can't be used on this machine - it won't even let me download it to try it. I'm wondering if I could use El Capitain.

Has anyone done this?

Is there any work around?

Help! This is a big project and I need to be able to access it.

Best wishes,

Kiya

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 4:51 AM

2 replies

Dec 16, 2019 11:05 AM in response to KiyaShanti

Is there any work around?

Purchase a used Mac, one that is capable of running the macOS version FCP 7 requires.

Caveat Emptor as always. The overwhelming majority of sellers do not properly prepare them for sale: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ....

Ensure the seller does that: when you turn it on, it should start with the exact same setup procedure (select your country, language, etc) that you saw when you purchased your new MBP. If it doesn't, the seller didn't.

Dual Boot Headaches - Can I run Mojave and an older OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.