Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble getting virtual keyboard to show up on iPad when bluetooth keyboard is connected

I bought an iPad case + keyboard that always stays connected. I’m finding that I can’t get the virtual keyboard to show up when I have my Bluetooth keyboard/case tucked away (I.e. rotated so it’s on the back of the iPad and can’t be used). I see a little arrow in the bottom right of the screen that some forums say can be used to bring the virtual keyboard up, however that arrow just disappears for me as soon as I click it. I updated to the latest software. Anyone else having this issue and know of a solution?

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 10:31 AM

Hello,

Whenever a physical hardware keyboard is attached to iPad then the on-screen keyboard will no longer appear. With the symbol you describe on the keyboard’s Shortcut Bar, press and hold this button to summon the on-screen keyboard.

1 reply

Having trouble getting virtual keyboard to show up on iPad when bluetooth keyboard is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.