Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple do any tracking by serial number for lost/stolen iPhone?

I understand the Find my iPhone feature and the lost phone solutions. I have put my phone into Lost Mode, but it is "offline" which leads me to believe someone who found it has it turned off.

I left it in a Lyft ride.

it had nearly 90% charge and sufficient battery that a cellular signal should have the phone in "online" mode. Im not understanding why the phone is "offline".

My question: If someone is trying to reset the phone or bring it to someone that can hack it and erase it, does Apple offer any services to track the phone by serial number in case someone is successful in resetting the phone? As to prevent them from using it. It is an iPhone xs-"unlocked".

Can anyone respond with knowledge around this?

Thanks,

Kenji

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2019 12:28 PM

Kenji1 wrote:

My question: If someone is trying to reset the phone or bring it to someone that can hack it and erase it, does Apple offer any services to track the phone by serial number in case someone is successful in resetting the phone? As to prevent them from using it. It is an iPhone xs-"unlocked".

Apple doesn't track phones at all. If your phone has Find My iPhone enabled, it can't be reset without your Apple ID and passcode. It can't be erased.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2019 12:28 PM in response to Kenji1

Kenji1 wrote:

Apple doesn't track phones at all. If your phone has Find My iPhone enabled, it can't be reset without your Apple ID and passcode. It can't be erased.

Does apple do any tracking by serial number for lost/stolen iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.