Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"FILENAME is damaged and cant't be opened. you should move it to the trash"

When I try to open certain documents on my Mac, mainly photos but I have recently experienced it with an App, I get the message "xxxx is damaged and cant't be opened. you should move it to the trash" has anyone came across this issue before and can assist?

Please see screen shot below for a better idea of the problem Im facing

Many thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 3:02 PM

CALLUMMC1990 Said:

“"FILENAME is damaged and cant't be opened. you should move it to the trash"”

———-

Boot up in Safe Mode:

I have come across this issue in the past. It’s been a while, but Apple had me boot into Safe Mode, which in turn permitted the deletion.

To boot into Safe Mode, hold down shift upon boot, releasing when at the login screen appears. All system caches would be put aside, resulting in all apps (such as Trash) performing as it should.

In Safe Mode, no preferences would take part, with Trash and all else performing as if it were installed anew. If this works, then there is a preference set somewhere in your Mac making this occur.

It ended up being no more than a corrupt system cache. So, I reinstalled the macOS, and all worked fine after.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2019 3:02 PM in response to CALLUMMC1990

CALLUMMC1990 Said:

“"FILENAME is damaged and cant't be opened. you should move it to the trash"”

———-

Boot up in Safe Mode:

I have come across this issue in the past. It’s been a while, but Apple had me boot into Safe Mode, which in turn permitted the deletion.

To boot into Safe Mode, hold down shift upon boot, releasing when at the login screen appears. All system caches would be put aside, resulting in all apps (such as Trash) performing as it should.

In Safe Mode, no preferences would take part, with Trash and all else performing as if it were installed anew. If this works, then there is a preference set somewhere in your Mac making this occur.

It ended up being no more than a corrupt system cache. So, I reinstalled the macOS, and all worked fine after.

"FILENAME is damaged and cant't be opened. you should move it to the trash"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.