Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damaged file Message

On my Mac running Monterey Any file I try to open message is ‘file is damaged and can’t be opened move to the bin. The files will open if I open within the app. How can I fix this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 15, 2022 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 12:24 AM

I have solved the problem by erasing the hard-drive and reinstalling Monterey. I have added files manually rather than copy problems and old files from Time Machine. All seems to be working well now.

Thank you for all your help.

10 replies

May 16, 2022 2:49 AM in response to annmoira

Skip point 1 below as that has already been suggested.

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

May 17, 2022 12:58 AM in response to annmoira

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

May 20, 2022 4:12 AM in response to annmoira

Problem: Other problem

Description: 

Each time I attempt to open a file by double clicking on it the message appears â  this (file name) is damaged and can’ t be opened move it to the bin . I can open files from within the relevant application if I open it and select file open.

Minor Issues:

Q - Time Machine auto backup disabled - Time Machine auto backups are disabled.

A - Does the computer has some other method to protect your precious and non-replaceable files ?

Q -  Stuck iCloud - This computer has pending iCloud transfers.

A - This is not good. Are the Files you are attempting to open stored in a iCloud Service ? As long as iCloud files are Stuck - the files can not be opened. Suggest signing out of iCloud completely. Restart the computer and sign back into iCloud. We are attempting to Force a Sync.

Q - Apps crashing - There have been numerous app crashes.

Q - Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Q - Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.

Q - Old Applications: - 12 x86-only apps

A - This will require to use ( you ) to evaluate which Application are outdated and needing update / upgrades or outright Replacements with Monterey Compatible Applications

Drives:

Q - disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E632 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM) 

A - The drive is the slowest possible Drive put into a computer. No matter how clean of an installation of the Operating System, this drive will be a really bottle-neck for any type of meaningful performance . 

A - Depending the intention of the user ( you ). If one what’s to extending the usable life of this computer for some addition years, please advise before being offered a possible Solution 

Network:

Interface en1: AirPort

802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Interface en0: Ethernet

Q -  iCloud Status: 39 pending files

A - Related to earlier issue surround iCloud is Stuck

System Software:

Q - macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258) 

A - Current version as of May 16, 2022 is version 12.4

Unsigned Files:

Q -  Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

A -  Is this version of Microsoft Office Suite compatible with Monterey ?

Q -  Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.wdc.WDPrivilegedHelper.plist

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.wdc.WDPrivilegedHelper

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

A - Monterey and macOS in general is very able to Manage External Drives without the interference of often time Buggy Third Party Software that have have been Bundled on the Western Digital External Drive and \installed onto this computer. Suggest removing the software as per the Developers Specific Instructions.

Damaged file Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.