You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to save to MacBook Air desktop

Running Safari 13.0.3 on MacBook Air. In the last week I can no longer save documents directly to my desktop. I remove them when used to folders. What's up?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 5:49 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, CASRTX!

I understand you're unable to save to your MacBook Air desktop when downloading files in Safari. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

I'd recommend verifying your settings for this by going to Safari > Preferences > General and where it says file download location, you should be able to pick where to save your files.

If you're still unable to save files to your desktop, try starting your Mac in safe mode and test for the behavior there: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you're able to save to your desktop in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test again. If you continue to see the behavior in safe mode or it returns after you restart, test in a new user account and let me know what you find: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2019 5:49 AM in response to CASRTX

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, CASRTX!

I understand you're unable to save to your MacBook Air desktop when downloading files in Safari. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

I'd recommend verifying your settings for this by going to Safari > Preferences > General and where it says file download location, you should be able to pick where to save your files.

If you're still unable to save files to your desktop, try starting your Mac in safe mode and test for the behavior there: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you're able to save to your desktop in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test again. If you continue to see the behavior in safe mode or it returns after you restart, test in a new user account and let me know what you find: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Dec 23, 2019 6:13 AM in response to CASRTX

Is this question about saving downloads and thier location, or saving files in general.

If you are using File> Save from the menubar then which save window do you see, is it

the default window, see below,

or is it the expanded view, see below,

In the default window click on the folder selector next to Where and a menu will drop down where you can select Desktop.

If you want to see the expanded view click the downward pointing arrow to the right of the Where text.

If it is about where downloads are saved then follow the instructions from alma 1090 above.

Unable to save to MacBook Air desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.