Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery bluetooth device?

Running MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 on my Macbook Air, under Bluetooth I find that my computer is automatically connecting to a mystery device identified only by a MAC address. Under Bluetooth Preferences, the device cannot be deleted. When I press the "X" button to delete it, it continues to say "Connected" with a yellow exclamation point, and there is a "Connect" button beside it. In the menu bar the device still appears as connected, with an option to "Disconnect". But choosing this option does nothing... the mystery device remains connected.

Anyone know what is going on?

Alex

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 17, 2019 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 12:01 PM

No battery powered BT mouse or keyboard lurking in the next room or the man drawer?

Did you try booting into Safe Mode? (Shift held down while booting).

Then reboot as normal.

That can clear various caches.

8 replies

Dec 18, 2019 9:39 AM in response to ajfisher1970

The relevant .plist is possibly corrupted. (It can be proved by trying another User Account but it is a faff.)

Go to your finder then in Go, select Go to Folder, then paste the following in the box

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

Find the plist that looks like "com.apple.Bluetooth.9CC5D1D5-2FDD-5962-A570-2B1DA84B4B7F.plist"

Drag it to the desktop so it is no longer in the ByHost folder

LOG OUT of your user account

Log Back In

It should create a new plist to replace the above one once you connect to a new BT device.

Try your problem again.

Let me know if it is fixed.

Delete the plist in the desktop once you are happy.

Dec 18, 2019 1:25 PM in response to ajfisher1970

I had one of those "interloper" bluetooth devices showing up on my iMac. I opened the Bluetooth Pref window clicked on the device name and then clicked the X on the righthand side of the devices name. That made the device disappear. I restarted the iMac and checked the bluetooth devices list again. It was gone from the list of bluetooth items.

Maybe you could try that.

Mystery bluetooth device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.