Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme unexpected error has occurred

Hi all,

while I am trying to set up wireless connection on the AirPort Extreme. I am getting unexpected error has occurred. I tried this on Mac, iPhone and iPad. same error. no success of setting up wireless connection to my router.

when I connect with wire, it works I am getting this error while I am trying to connect wirelessly

any suggestions or ideas?

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 12:15 PM

Yep, I totally misunderstood. I would second LaPastenague's comments if this other router is not another Apple product. Apple uses a propriety method to extend their base stations using a wireless connection between them. There is no workaround for this.

If a wired connection is not desirable or practical, it may be possible to use Powerline adapters between these two devices. These adapters take advantage of your home's electrical circuit to create a pseudo Ethernet connection ... but have their limitations.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 12:15 PM in response to HB3444

Yep, I totally misunderstood. I would second LaPastenague's comments if this other router is not another Apple product. Apple uses a propriety method to extend their base stations using a wireless connection between them. There is no workaround for this.

If a wired connection is not desirable or practical, it may be possible to use Powerline adapters between these two devices. These adapters take advantage of your home's electrical circuit to create a pseudo Ethernet connection ... but have their limitations.

Dec 18, 2019 11:42 AM in response to HB3444

Ok, thanks for the additional info.

Give the following a try:

1. Power cycle your Extreme off, then on. Allow it to initialize. Try connecting with any of your wireless devices.
  2. If you are still not able to connect any of them, then temporarily connect your Mac to the Extreme by Ethernet, and then, access it with the AirPort Utility.
  3. With the utility, temporarily disable wireless security. This will create an "open" network to test with. Again, try connecting with either of your wireless devices.

Please post back your results.

Dec 18, 2019 11:48 AM in response to Tesserax

thank you very much for answering :) but I guess you got me wrong. this is not a wireless connection problem this is about setting up the AirPort Extreme box to connect wirelessly to the router rather than with a wire. I can set it up with a wire and I can connect the internet over AirPort Extreme box but when I try to connect it wirelessly to the router, I could not reach to the internet. I see it does not get the IP from the router

Dec 18, 2019 12:17 PM in response to HB3444

Are 100% sure it won't work :)?

ABSOLUTELY!! 100% .. this is Apple walled garden stuff.

However not unusual.

Most brands by the way are proprietary as IEEE has no standards for WDS since early N wireless.

Some routers offer universal wireless repeater. Usually only products sold as universal repeaters.

They are terrible.. run 100 miles before you think of installing one.

Same with mesh products btw.. mesh products do not work across brands.. you must use identically designed products.

AirPort Extreme unexpected error has occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.