Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing email suddenly not working

All of a sudden I cannot send outgoing emails. Incoming emails is fine, and I have not changed any settings, but it nows gives an error message that it cannot send message using server. Strangely, I can send via webmail or if I use Google as the server instead.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 4:58 PM

Mail servers work at the whim of their providers. Some providers work really hard to keep them going 24/7/365; Others have a much lazier attitude about it. Some providers feel free to take servers off line to do backups, for software upgrades, or have failures and don't rush to fix them.

Because of the complex ways these Mail Servers are set up, it is quite likely you can get mail with one or the other of MacOS Mail and WebMail while the other one refuses to respond.

MacOS Mail knows only ONE error -- the server did not respond. And it knows only ONE solution -- to ask for the password again.

If you just tried to set up Mail for the first time, that response makes some sense. Otherwise it is garbage. If you enter anything, other than just dismiss the box and try later, it is more likely to mess up your settings.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 4:58 PM in response to johnfromhillcrest

Mail servers work at the whim of their providers. Some providers work really hard to keep them going 24/7/365; Others have a much lazier attitude about it. Some providers feel free to take servers off line to do backups, for software upgrades, or have failures and don't rush to fix them.

Because of the complex ways these Mail Servers are set up, it is quite likely you can get mail with one or the other of MacOS Mail and WebMail while the other one refuses to respond.

MacOS Mail knows only ONE error -- the server did not respond. And it knows only ONE solution -- to ask for the password again.

If you just tried to set up Mail for the first time, that response makes some sense. Otherwise it is garbage. If you enter anything, other than just dismiss the box and try later, it is more likely to mess up your settings.

Outgoing email suddenly not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.