Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wide Gamut Monitor Hardware Calibration on Mac

I recently got an LG wide gamut monitor which has the ability to be hardware calibrated internally, but I have some doubts about the process of monitor LUT/Lookup Table calibration on Mac.

After calibrating the monitor using my X-Rite i1Display Pro and LG's True Color Pro app for monitor hardware calibration the monitor creates it's own calibration profile, only choosable from the monitor controls. But it also creates a calibration profile in macOS' Display's System Preferences... That to me is a source to unreliability?

After calibration macOS chooses the newest calibration, but if I switch on the monitor from i.e. a P3 color profile to an sRGB macOS does not switch the profile – it stays on the P3 (in this example).

Should I manually choose the monitor's default (LG HDR 5K) profile in macOS or the custom generated profile? 😕

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 7:05 AM

There are two different things going on. Calibration, then profiling.

When you calibrate any monitor with any device/software meant for such use, you are always doing two steps. The first is calibration, which is kind of another way of saying you're linearizing the hardware. Calibration does these steps:

1. White point color.
  2. Black point color.
  3. Gamma.
  4. Brightness.
  5. Gain.

Like all EIZO monitors, your LG stores the calibration settings directly in the monitor. This is a much more accurate control for these settings than manipulating the LUT of the video card, which is how it has to be done with less expensive monitors.

The OS doesn't need to know where these settings are, so it's fine to store them in the monitor itself. What the OS absolutely needs to know for proper color handling, is what the monitor is actually emitting.

That's where step two comes in. Profiling. You've calibrated your monitor, and the profile is then a mathematical reading of how color displays on the monitor relative to that calibration. Profiling is the step where your hardware/software reads the series of color patches after the calibration step is completed. This is important. You've can't create a profile and then go back and change only the calibration. That makes the current profile meaningless.

So, what you're looking at is this.

Years ago (closer to decades, now), all monitors came with a floppy disk or CD that had one item on it: A default profile from the factory for the monitor. People routinely lost or threw these away. To eliminate this waste of time and materials, all monitors now come with the default profile burned on a chip as part of the monitor's hardware. Every OS knows exactly where to look for this and copies that profile to the computer. That's what LG HDR 5K is.

The 2019-12-18-25-79-6315 profile is the one LG's True Color Pro app created after calibrating the hardware. This profile tells the OS exactly what the gamut and color range of your monitor is, based on the calibration settings you used. You can choose the other canned profiles if you want, but they are all entirely meaningless. None of those have the correct color data that tells the OS what your monitor is doing. Only the one you just created is accurate.

The OS has to have some way of knowing what your monitor looks like so ColorSync can do its job correctly. That's the profile. If that were also stored in the monitor's hardware, then the OS wouldn't have a clue what your monitor was doing since it would have no color reference for it. And the supplied default profiles are never accurate.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2019 7:05 AM in response to krislinus

There are two different things going on. Calibration, then profiling.

When you calibrate any monitor with any device/software meant for such use, you are always doing two steps. The first is calibration, which is kind of another way of saying you're linearizing the hardware. Calibration does these steps:

1. White point color.
  2. Black point color.
  3. Gamma.
  4. Brightness.
  5. Gain.

Like all EIZO monitors, your LG stores the calibration settings directly in the monitor. This is a much more accurate control for these settings than manipulating the LUT of the video card, which is how it has to be done with less expensive monitors.

The OS doesn't need to know where these settings are, so it's fine to store them in the monitor itself. What the OS absolutely needs to know for proper color handling, is what the monitor is actually emitting.

That's where step two comes in. Profiling. You've calibrated your monitor, and the profile is then a mathematical reading of how color displays on the monitor relative to that calibration. Profiling is the step where your hardware/software reads the series of color patches after the calibration step is completed. This is important. You've can't create a profile and then go back and change only the calibration. That makes the current profile meaningless.

So, what you're looking at is this.

Years ago (closer to decades, now), all monitors came with a floppy disk or CD that had one item on it: A default profile from the factory for the monitor. People routinely lost or threw these away. To eliminate this waste of time and materials, all monitors now come with the default profile burned on a chip as part of the monitor's hardware. Every OS knows exactly where to look for this and copies that profile to the computer. That's what LG HDR 5K is.

The 2019-12-18-25-79-6315 profile is the one LG's True Color Pro app created after calibrating the hardware. This profile tells the OS exactly what the gamut and color range of your monitor is, based on the calibration settings you used. You can choose the other canned profiles if you want, but they are all entirely meaningless. None of those have the correct color data that tells the OS what your monitor is doing. Only the one you just created is accurate.

The OS has to have some way of knowing what your monitor looks like so ColorSync can do its job correctly. That's the profile. If that were also stored in the monitor's hardware, then the OS wouldn't have a clue what your monitor was doing since it would have no color reference for it. And the supplied default profiles are never accurate.

Dec 20, 2019 3:33 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I’ve been digging around to find the answer for a while now.

So actually the custom calibration slots on the monitor itself are not as quick as advertised, since I have to go to System Preferences and switch the profile accordingly, which often logs me out.

Of course it’s faster than recalibrating each time.

Dec 20, 2019 6:28 PM in response to krislinus

Correct. EIZO monitors have the same types of presets you can choose from, but those are also meaningless. Well, not when the monitor is brand new. But, since all display panels drift (color slowly and permanently shifts away from its original balance), and the panel slowly becomes less saturated, the presets are no longer accurate. Better than nothing, but you can't rely on them forever.

No idea why you Mac kicks you to a logout just by choosing the new profile. It should most definitely not do that. You shouldn't have to keep choosing it ever time you start the computer up, either. I know there's one, maybe two preference files you could toss that would likely fix that problem, but I can't look them up at the moment.

Wide Gamut Monitor Hardware Calibration on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.