Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud not working on iMac but other devices

Hi there

My .mac emails have worked for years on my iMac with no issues. It was set up originally automatically by the mac - no user input into smtp or map details. I now get "Connections to host p41-imap.mail.me.com on the default ports failed." error and the account is offline. I can access it via the web and my other devices just not the iMac.

If I go into Mail preferences, choose the iCloud account and server settings - Outgoing mail account is set to None. I can change it to the iCloud account in the dropdown but it lasts a few seconds before reverting back to None.

If I edit SMTP server list and create an entry for the iCloud and try to get the account to use the new server it just reverts to None again.

I've disabled mail in System Preferences - iCloud but that didn't work. At a bit of a loss now and I'm not sure what the consequences are if I delete the account from my machine and reinstall it.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jon

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Hi jrsimons,  

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are having an issue using iCloud mail on your iMac. Which version of macOS is on your iMac? 

This article has the steps to take if you have an issue with iCloud Mail on your Mac: Get help using iCloud Mail - Apple Support

If those steps don’t help, you can remove the email account and add it back in again. When you remove an email account from Mail, the account’s messages are deleted and no longer available on your Mac. Copies of messages remain on the account’s mail server and are still available (from webmail, for example). Here’s how: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reach back out to the community to let us know how that goes. 

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 7:38 PM in response to jrsimons

Hi jrsimons,  

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are having an issue using iCloud mail on your iMac. Which version of macOS is on your iMac? 

This article has the steps to take if you have an issue with iCloud Mail on your Mac: Get help using iCloud Mail - Apple Support

If those steps don’t help, you can remove the email account and add it back in again. When you remove an email account from Mail, the account’s messages are deleted and no longer available on your Mac. Copies of messages remain on the account’s mail server and are still available (from webmail, for example). Here’s how: Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Reach back out to the community to let us know how that goes. 

Cheers!

iCloud not working on iMac but other devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.