Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If my photos are in the iCloud. When I delete photos from my phone will they also be deleted from the iCloud?

I have used 46 of 200 go of iCloud storage. The issue I have is not enough iPhone storage and have offloaded or deleted as many apps as possible. I need to delete photos from my phone as well. If I delete the photos however, I believe they are deleted from the iCloud. I thought that was one of the purposes of the iCloud so I could delete some of my photos off the phone and have them saved in the cloud

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 5:46 AM

iCloud photo is a synchronization service, so yes, deleting from your phone will delete in iCloud.

To preserve those pictures, you will need to transfer them to some archival storage first, then delete them. See - Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies

Dec 19, 2019 5:15 AM in response to Beantown655

The simplest way to preserve photo space, without compromising on photo/video quality, is to navigate Settings:Photos:select “Optimize iPhone Storage.” This just keeps a tiny thumbnail of the photo on your device, while keeping the full-resolution originals safely stored in iCloud. The lower-resolution local copy will automatically revert to the full-quality version if you need to adjust it, before syncing the full-quality version to the cloud and then re-replacing the local copy with a tiny placeholder. It’s so seemless, you’ll never have to think about it.

If my photos are in the iCloud. When I delete photos from my phone will they also be deleted from the iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.