Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a bootable usb drive

Firstly I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before but I don't seem to put the right words in the right order to get an answer. I have one of the first 27" iMacs which has started to slow down on boot up. I also try to access it on my local network and it appears then drops off and going back to the iMac it has frozen and I have to hard reset.

As I have checked the disk and reinstalled Mojave. Speaking to my local Apple repair unit they suggested booting from a usb drive and checking the drive before taking it to them for their checks.

I thought I knew how to do this but its a few years ago. The Apple Repair centre recommended Mojave rather than Catalina.

Can someone point me in the right direction please

Paul

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 2:25 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 19, 2019 10:13 PM in response to PaulNottm

Make sure to have a good verified working backup before doing anything.

If you have an old iMac, then it sounds like you could have a failing hard drive. You can try running the Apple Diagnostics, but if the diagnostic passes, then you can perform a more thorough check of the drive by running DriveDX. If it shows any "Failures" or "Warnings" then it means the drive is either bad or worn out respectively. Feel free to post the DriveDX report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Dec 23, 2019 3:18 PM in response to dialabrain

Thank for this and I apologise for the delay in replying. I have looked at this and it seems to give instructions for creating a method of install MacOS on a number of machines ( when I was involved with PCs we called it Ghosting )

I just want to boot from the drive so that I can examine the Fusion Drive etc without the complication of it being used for the OS at the same time.

There must be a way to create a drive on a USB key, external drive or even a partition

Paul

Creating a bootable usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.