Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app - links not clickable until the mail is opened

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with what seems like a random problem (even if it isn't...). Using Mojave 10.14.6 and Mail. When a mail comes in, no matter which of my accounts I'm picking up, I'm finding I can't click any of the hyperlinks that are displayed in the message pane until I double click to open the message.

This behaviour doesn't seem to have any real consistency though as sometimes I can. There's literally no pattern I can see. Even those coming into the same Mailbox, from the same person or people in my company can sometimes work and sometimes not.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might go around solving this one? It's getting a bit irritating having to open many messages before I can click a link within them.

If it helps, I'm using a MacBook Pro 13", Early 2015 on Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks guys.

iMac Pro

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 9:43 AM

SteveEt007 wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a bit of an issue with what seems like a random problem (even if it isn't...). Using Mojave 10.14.6 and Mail. When a mail comes in, no matter which of my accounts I'm picking up, I'm finding I can't click any of the hyperlinks that are displayed in the message pane until I double click to open the message.

This behaviour doesn't seem to have any real consistency though as sometimes I can. There's literally no pattern I can see. Even those coming into the same Mailbox, from the same person or people in my company can sometimes work and sometimes not.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might go around solving this one? It's getting a bit irritating having to open many messages before I can click a link within them.

Interesting— first I heard this issue. Did you try and select a different default browser and see if this makes Mail behave? Safari is a good 1st choice here to trouble shoot.

>System Preferences>General>Default browser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you try and rebuild the INBOX Mailbox

Mail>Mailbox>Rebuild

It could be possible if you typically updated using the delta updates (stair step your way up)—reinstalling the combo update on top of your existing macOS , has been known to sort one off anomalies.

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update - Apple ...

the next step would be to reinstall the entire macOS on top of your existing macoS from Recovery—this too preserves all user data if you make the "correct" selection: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

always recommended to have a current backup plan in place.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2019 9:43 AM in response to SteveEt007

SteveEt007 wrote:

Hi,

Interesting— first I heard this issue. Did you try and select a different default browser and see if this makes Mail behave? Safari is a good 1st choice here to trouble shoot.

>System Preferences>General>Default browser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you try and rebuild the INBOX Mailbox

Mail>Mailbox>Rebuild

It could be possible if you typically updated using the delta updates (stair step your way up)—reinstalling the combo update on top of your existing macOS , has been known to sort one off anomalies.

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update - Apple ...

the next step would be to reinstall the entire macOS on top of your existing macoS from Recovery—this too preserves all user data if you make the "correct" selection: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

always recommended to have a current backup plan in place.

Mail app - links not clickable until the mail is opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.