You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS .

I have an older Mac mini that I wanted to reload back to factory. I erased the drive and proceeded to reload the OS using the Option, Cmd R during reboot. I select the option to Reinstall Mac OS X but I keep getting the message "Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS". Am I doing something that is no longer supported?

Mac mini, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 8:08 AM

Lion 10.7 was the original OS X for a 2011 Mac Mini and High Sierra 10.13 is the last macOS that a 2011 Mac Mini can run.

If you can not reinstall 10.7 Lion from MacOS Internet Recovery.

see > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Then you need to create a bootable High Sierra installer on a flash drive and install macOS from it.

see > https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Install+macOS+High+Sierra/751

and/or > How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Samalva

Lion 10.7 was the original OS X for a 2011 Mac Mini and High Sierra 10.13 is the last macOS that a 2011 Mac Mini can run.

If you can not reinstall 10.7 Lion from MacOS Internet Recovery.

see > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Then you need to create a bootable High Sierra installer on a flash drive and install macOS from it.

see > https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Install+macOS+High+Sierra/751

and/or > How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Can't download the additional components needed to install Mac OS .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.