Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access Denied

Update to MacOS 10.15 Catalina (Catostrophe) prevents my Notecase Pro installation from accessing the /Documents/Notecase folder. It worked before the upgrade, fails totally now.

This appears to be permissions issue, although I have no idea what Apple was thinking when they created this.

Is there a fix for this? I don't want to revert to 10.14. If worst come to worst, I will go back to Linux.

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 6:03 AM

Thank you for your thoughts, Peter_Watt. I tried them but had no success, so I started poking around to see what I could do that would change the symptom.

To recap, the original issue was that after MacOS 10.15 was installed, it broke my Notecase installation. Specifically, Notecase was denied permission to my Documents folder, where I kept all my Notecase docs. That made it unusable. I called Apple support but got little help there beyond the standard level 1 support suggestions - run AV check, update the app, check with Notecase to see if they didn't support this release of the OS, etc. Apple also had me do a couple of unusual things - reset the System Management Controller and reset NVRAM or PRAM. And of course, I updated the Mac to the 10.15.2 just to make sure there were no new fixes out there.

I then looked at permissions for my home folder, my Documents folder, and my Documents/Notecase folder but didn't change them. Given that other apps were able to browse those same folders, I didn't feel like permissions were the issue here.

I then started poking around from Notecase to see if there were any folders it COULD see. Turns out that there is a hidden folder called .Notecase that it could get into. I copied one of my files to that folder and Notecase was able to open it and work with it again. So, the immediate issue is resolved -- worked, around, actually.

However, I would very much like to know what Apple changed from 10.14 to 10.15 that caused this issue.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 6:03 AM in response to LD150

Thank you for your thoughts, Peter_Watt. I tried them but had no success, so I started poking around to see what I could do that would change the symptom.

To recap, the original issue was that after MacOS 10.15 was installed, it broke my Notecase installation. Specifically, Notecase was denied permission to my Documents folder, where I kept all my Notecase docs. That made it unusable. I called Apple support but got little help there beyond the standard level 1 support suggestions - run AV check, update the app, check with Notecase to see if they didn't support this release of the OS, etc. Apple also had me do a couple of unusual things - reset the System Management Controller and reset NVRAM or PRAM. And of course, I updated the Mac to the 10.15.2 just to make sure there were no new fixes out there.

I then looked at permissions for my home folder, my Documents folder, and my Documents/Notecase folder but didn't change them. Given that other apps were able to browse those same folders, I didn't feel like permissions were the issue here.

I then started poking around from Notecase to see if there were any folders it COULD see. Turns out that there is a hidden folder called .Notecase that it could get into. I copied one of my files to that folder and Notecase was able to open it and work with it again. So, the immediate issue is resolved -- worked, around, actually.

However, I would very much like to know what Apple changed from 10.14 to 10.15 that caused this issue.

Dec 21, 2019 6:47 AM in response to Mike.Martin

More importantly you should contact the developer of Notecase and ask when they will release an update that is compatible with Catalina. Developers have had almost two years to get ready for Catalina. The latest version of Notecase Pro is 4.4.8, released in November. Can we assume you have the latest version installed? Also, in their support forums I don’t see anything like your issues being discussed right now. You may want to contact them with your issue.

Dec 21, 2019 9:09 AM in response to Mike.Martin

Catalina upped macOS security requirements in major ways. Try the suggestion offered by @Luis Sequeira1 above. Otherwise the developer will need to comply with the new Catalina security measures which may include Apple’s notarization scheme. If the app launched but can’t find its data file that implies a permissions/security issue.

Access Denied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.