Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook keyboard backlight not working on catalina

My Macbook Pro (15-inch, 2018, Touchbar), worked perfectly until I updated from Mojave to Catalina. The keyboard backlight does not light up. It worked when I downgraded to Mojave at a point. I am back to Catalina and it doesn't light up. The keyboard backlight symbols appear on the touchbar but not on the screen when pressed. I find it difficult using my mac in the dark.

I have reset PRAM/NVRAM and SMC and format the PC but to no avail.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 12:40 AM

I have a similar problem and followed the instruction you suggested...

• Automatically adjust backlighting in low light: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Keyboard, click Keyboard, then select “Adjust keyboard brightness in low light.”

Unfortunately the is no such control appearing on system preference screen.

I have a touch strip and there is no "Adjust keyboard brightness in low light" option.

Here it what I have (attached image)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 12:40 AM in response to jeremy_v

I have a similar problem and followed the instruction you suggested...

• Automatically adjust backlighting in low light: Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Keyboard, click Keyboard, then select “Adjust keyboard brightness in low light.”

Unfortunately the is no such control appearing on system preference screen.

I have a touch strip and there is no "Adjust keyboard brightness in low light" option.

Here it what I have (attached image)

Dec 23, 2019 4:26 PM in response to Adjepong

Greetings Adjepong,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like the keyboard backlighting was working with Mojave, but not with Catalina. Since resetting the SMC did not work, it may be a setting issue. I would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

Turn your Mac keyboard’s backlighting on or off

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Take care.

Macbook keyboard backlight not working on catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.