You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac doesn't shutdown on catalina

Catalina 10.15.2

iMac is now consistently (but not constantly) failing to shut down - all icons disappear just freezes with my desktop picture, sometimes all night because I thought it shut down and find out next morning it didn't.

are there logs or something I can look at or do to resolve this.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 7:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 10:02 AM

Hi ringspa,

You can take a look at the console to see what might be happening.

One thing you could consider doing is make sure that your applications are closed as some applications such as Microsoft Word might prevent it from shutting down as documents might need to be saved.

Have you tried updating to 10.15.2 yet? It fixes a number of issues.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2019 10:02 AM in response to ringspa

Hi ringspa,

You can take a look at the console to see what might be happening.

One thing you could consider doing is make sure that your applications are closed as some applications such as Microsoft Word might prevent it from shutting down as documents might need to be saved.

Have you tried updating to 10.15.2 yet? It fixes a number of issues.

I hope this helps.

Dec 24, 2019 4:18 PM in response to Soren Pearson

Thanks. This is with 10.15.2. I don't think it's a user app blocking, those conditions usually generate messaging; nothing is open at the time of shutdown other than background processes (dropbox etc).

I looked in the console but don't see anything obvious and/or don't know where to look... no obvious messages I can see around the time of the all-night shutdown.

It did it again last night and again this morning. It's not every time, but frequent...

imac doesn't shutdown on catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.