Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching apple ids

If i change from a shared apple id to my own, will i lose my photos and videos that are on my iPhone rather than in iCloud? I dont use iCloud for photos at the moment, everything is on my iPhone. Also I have already been using messages on my new apple id, so if i switch completely, will i have all my conversations/attachments still on my phone?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 8:30 AM

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. Make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. For messages you have that were associated with your ID, they should still be there.See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 8:30 AM in response to eliasmartinez

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. Make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. For messages you have that were associated with your ID, they should still be there.See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Switching apple ids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.