Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular+GPS vs GPS

i am looking into purchasing an apple watch but i am not sure what i need. i would like to be able to respond to texts and such on my watch. would this mean i need a cellular and gps rather than just gps?

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2019 2:30 PM

I have a GPS only Apple Watch (as well as my Wife) and we exchange messages all the time. We also answer phone calls on our Apple Watches (we could make them too, but we rarely actually call anyone). We also use the Walkie-Talkie feature to talk to each other as well.

SMS/MMS texting does require that you iPhone be turned on, and connected to the Internet, even if you are using a cellular model. The cellular model just doesn't need the iPhone nearby.

This describes what you can do with both models when the iPhone is not nearby

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

It is strongly suggested you read the footnotes as well.

And by "Nearby", typically that would be your iPhone and Apple Watch are somewhere in the same 3-4 bedroom home. My Wife frequently has her iPhone in the kitchen charging, but can use her Apple Watch in the diagonally opposite side of the house on the 2nd floor.

Also if your cellular carrier supports WiFi calling, and you enable it on your iPhone and Apple Watch, then the Apple Watch can use WiFi calling when it is attached to a WiFi network.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2019 2:30 PM in response to laurwojoo

I have a GPS only Apple Watch (as well as my Wife) and we exchange messages all the time. We also answer phone calls on our Apple Watches (we could make them too, but we rarely actually call anyone). We also use the Walkie-Talkie feature to talk to each other as well.

SMS/MMS texting does require that you iPhone be turned on, and connected to the Internet, even if you are using a cellular model. The cellular model just doesn't need the iPhone nearby.

This describes what you can do with both models when the iPhone is not nearby

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

It is strongly suggested you read the footnotes as well.

And by "Nearby", typically that would be your iPhone and Apple Watch are somewhere in the same 3-4 bedroom home. My Wife frequently has her iPhone in the kitchen charging, but can use her Apple Watch in the diagonally opposite side of the house on the 2nd floor.

Also if your cellular carrier supports WiFi calling, and you enable it on your iPhone and Apple Watch, then the Apple Watch can use WiFi calling when it is attached to a WiFi network.

Cellular+GPS vs GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.