Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between GPS and cellular apple watches

I am currently looking to purchase the series 7 apple watch. This is going to be my first ever apple watch. I am just stuck on which one to get, I want the GPS one as I don't have the money to pay extra monthly for cellular. BUT I was wondering.. I always have my phone with me so would I still be able to make calls or send messages through the watch when my phone is with me? Like what are the differences between the 2 watches when my phone is always with me?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 11:33 AM

You can do just about everything with a GPS only Apple Watch so long as you have your iPhone with you. Without it, there are a few things you cannot do obviously, but if you keep the iPhone with you, then it won't matter. You can also purchase the GPS+Cellular but not activate the cellular if you wish too. Then at some point if you wish to activate the cellular, you can. I have a GPS+Cellular and I have the cellular activated. It costs me $10/month with AT&T. It is a little wasteful, but I spend that much on coffee in a couple of days, so I just watch it. But to be honest, I could count on one hand the number of times I've used the cellular on the Watch because I forgot the iPhone. It seems it is more so I can say I have it. I'm just one of those tech geeks that has to have it all. 😜

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 11:33 AM in response to rxyy

You can do just about everything with a GPS only Apple Watch so long as you have your iPhone with you. Without it, there are a few things you cannot do obviously, but if you keep the iPhone with you, then it won't matter. You can also purchase the GPS+Cellular but not activate the cellular if you wish too. Then at some point if you wish to activate the cellular, you can. I have a GPS+Cellular and I have the cellular activated. It costs me $10/month with AT&T. It is a little wasteful, but I spend that much on coffee in a couple of days, so I just watch it. But to be honest, I could count on one hand the number of times I've used the cellular on the Watch because I forgot the iPhone. It seems it is more so I can say I have it. I'm just one of those tech geeks that has to have it all. 😜

Jan 24, 2022 2:14 PM in response to rxyy

I have a Series 4 GPS only model. I always have my iPhone with me, or nearby. I can do Everything my Wife's cellular Apple Watch can do.

Actually, I do a little bit better, because we live in a weak cell signal area, and my iPhone picks up the weaker signals better than the Apple Watch.

I just cannot leave my iPhone behind, and that only happens by mistake, and very rarely at that, as it is generally always in my pocket, unless I'm using it, or it is charging.

NOTE: Even the Cellular mode uses the iPhone if it is in range, as using the Apple Watch cellular radio cost more battery power and shortens the time between charges. leaving the phone at home, while you go off to work, shortens the Apple Watch day significantly, and it will need a charge sooner than when you go to bed at night

Apple Watch battery is rated for 18 Hours between charges (the reality varies depending on how new the battery is, how often the Apple Watch is used to make phone calls, how many hours are spent exercising such that the GPS is tracking your movement, the amount of time spent listening music stored on the Apple Watch vs streaming music over the cellular connection, etc...

Difference between GPS and cellular apple watches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.