Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Remove finder's Favourites

Hi,

I had a couple of favourites in my finder's sidebar from a USB key.

I don't have this key anymore and the favourites still appear in drop down menu when I press on Where, when I want to save

I don't find any way to delete them, since I don't have the key anymore and I cannot drop the link out of the finder, because in the "normal" view inside the finder they are not visible.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks All

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 8:31 AM

8 replies

Dec 22, 2019 9:00 AM in response to willson1982

willson1982 wrote:
The two alias appear only when I need to save a file (in any app)
drop down menu I can see the two alias/link but I cannot interact with them in any way

Tried right now, but they don't appear in spotlight, tried to make a search from finder too no way to find anything with the name I'm looking for.
Thanks for the suggestion

If this is an issue for you— Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

you can try a  a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache. You can log in and test, or simply reboot and test.

If the issues is still not resolve you can try rebuilding the Launch service database; from terminal.app, copy and paste:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain u -domain s -domain l -v

Dec 22, 2019 8:40 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas,

I don't see them in the sidebar.

The two alias appear only when I need to save a file (in any app) and I press on Where.

e.g. open Textedit, command S and then press Where, under drop down menu I can see the two alias/link but I cannot interact with them in any way. I cannoct select, delete or move.

I hope now is clearer the situation.

Dec 22, 2019 8:44 AM in response to willson1982

willson1982 wrote:

Hi leroydouglas,
I don't see them in the sidebar.
The two alias appear only when I need to save a file (in any app) and I press on Where.
e.g. open Textedit, command S and then press Where, under drop down menu I can see the two alias/link but I cannot interact with them in any way. I cannoct select, delete or move.
I hope now is clearer the situation.

Did you try using the Spotlight (command spacebar) and search for those alias— if the shows in Spotlight, hold the command key down and it will show the path,

or

use the option Show in Finder.

Dec 22, 2019 12:17 PM in response to willson1982

willson1982 wrote:

thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately none worked.
I think the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file is missing in Catalina e no one knows where these information are stored in the new OS.

Hmm... say what?

If you want too try and delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Then Relaunch your Finder from the >Finder>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

Catalina Remove finder's Favourites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.