Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I open an embeded word doc without word?

I have got a word doc which I can open in pages but it has another word doc embedded within it how can I open this?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 3:25 AM

15 replies

Dec 23, 2019 11:34 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Because I got curious, and I'm at work with a PC, I investigated. In Word 2016 for Windows, if you go to the Insert tab and then click Object over at the right of the ribbon, you get this dialogue box:

If you stay on the Create New tab and select Word Document, Word opens a new Word file where you can type up the text you want. When you save this new file, Word then embeds that in the first file as a Word object.

If you switch to the Create from File tab, you can browse for the desired file, and that will get embedded into the first file as a Word object. Word displays the first page of the embedded doc with a grey highlight. Double-click it, and Word opens the file. That behaviour makes me wonder if the whole file was actually embedded, so I saved the first file, which had only a couple of lines of text. The file size is over 2 mb, which about the size of the second doc, so I guess it really is embedded.

@blue4dolphin, glad that LibreOffice was able to open your file. I'd appreciate it if you'd go back and mark that suggestion as helpful.

happy holidays!

Guy

Dec 23, 2019 6:18 AM in response to blue4dolphin

I tried to duplicate such a document in Word, and it isn't possible. There are various to add a Word document to another open document, but all it does is add the text from the second doc. There's no embedding to a remote file, or the second document being treated like an attachment.

Now, an embedded file such as a PDF or picture I can see as being a problem. I tried inserting both a PDF and image. Preview only shows the text of the document. But it also gives you no clue at all a PDF or image is part of the file, so there's no way for you to know it's there in the first place.

Dec 23, 2019 10:26 AM in response to blue4dolphin

Hmm, I wonder how the PC user managed to do that? I've tried every method online I could find for bringing one Word doc into another, and none of them result in an embedded file.

Though it very well could be a Windows thing. While the latest version of Office for Mac is much closer to feature parity with the Windows version than it ever was in Office 2011 or earlier, the Windows version of Office still has features that don't exist in the Mac version.

Dec 23, 2019 12:02 PM in response to Guy Ivie

Ah! I did see that field, but since none of the sites I found even mentioned it, I didn't investigate it any further.

Yup, I can choose a Word document as the object to embed, then click From File and choose another doc. What comes in then is not text, but an embedded block that looks like the other document. Double clicking the block opens a separate Word document window you can edit, but is not editable until you do that.

how do I open an embeded word doc without word?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.