Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot delete apps from Launchpad.

As it is no longer possible to post in the previous thread called "I cannot delete apps from Launchpad" (Why actually?) and since no solutions have been proposed there that are both (1) easy and (2) work, I will repeat the question. In Launchpad, most of my applications do not have an "x" to click on to delete them, and they cannot be dragged into the Trash. There are complicated solutions proposed to do with removing database files that don't exist. So I repeat the question: how are we supposed to do this? How can Apple have screwed up such a basic piece of functionality? By the way I have recently installed MacOS 10.14.

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 7:47 AM

FWIW, only apps installed from the App Store will have an "x" and can be removed from LaunchPad. Any third-party apps downloaded from a website have to be uninstalled using the instructions for that particular app.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 23, 2019 8:07 AM in response to dialabrain

I see. I had thought that Launchpad was just a more extensive program-launching facility than the Dock. But I infer from your response that it is in fact a collection of ALL available apps that we are welcome to sort as we wish, and that therefore an app may ONLY be removed from the Launchpad by uninstalling the program, one way or another. But if this is so, then is it correct that clicking "x" on an App Store app in the Launchpad will in fact uninstall the program rather than just removing it from the Launchpad but leaving it in the Applications folder? If not, then non-App Store apps may only be removed from the Launchpad by uninstalling them while App Store ones may be removed by clicking "x" and they will not be uninstalled. If so we are back to my original question. Thanks for helping with this!

I cannot delete apps from Launchpad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.