Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there 716 unmounted GBs on my 500 GB drive?

When I have show all volumes turned on in disk utility, the "container 1" volume, with mac hd in it, has 180 used GB, 320 unused, and 710 unmounted! Is there any way to mount these extra 700 gigs, because that amount of storage would be great.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 11:09 AM

Nev3rOfficial wrote:

The thing is, is that those terminal commands would not show that storage if it were unmounted. So I guess I'm asking if it would be possible to mount it.

No.

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2019 11:09 AM in response to Nev3rOfficial

Nev3rOfficial wrote:

The thing is, is that those terminal commands would not show that storage if it were unmounted. So I guess I'm asking if it would be possible to mount it.

No.

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Dec 23, 2019 10:27 AM in response to Nev3rOfficial

Nev3rOfficial wrote:

When I have show all volumes turned on in disk utility, the "container 1" volume, with mac hd in it, has 180 used GB, 320 unused, and 710 unmounted! Is there any way to mount these extra 700 gigs, because that amount of storage would be great.

Say what— if you have a 500GB drive. That is it. Seems like an anomaly in the DU read out.

What exact Mac are you using and what is your current macOS?

From Terminal.app you can get a look at GB, copy and paste:

df -H 

If you want a look at the Drive list, copy and paste:

diskutil list

Why is there 716 unmounted GBs on my 500 GB drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.