Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility "x Not Mounted" meaning?

I have a 2 TB Fusion Drive inside my late 2015 iMac that shows a "Container disk3" when examined in Disk Utility. Inside this container are 3 volumes labeled "Not Mounted."

The amount of storage involved is trivial (17 GB / 24 GB free), so this is simply a question born of curiosity. I'd like to know what those three volumes are. Is this an emergency system? If so, why are there 3 volumes cited?

TIA

Richard Hurley

Grass Valley Multimedia

iMac 27″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 1:15 PM

Launch the Terminal app located in the Utilities folder and run the following command to list the internal drive layout and post the results here so we can see the complete drive layout:

diskutil  list  internal

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 25, 2022 5:02 PM in response to Richard Hurley

In order to see exactly what is going on the information for disk0, disk1, and disk2 are also important and should be posted if you are asking for assistance for dealing with a problem since each of those items is a separate part of the whole Fusion Drive setup. A missing part of the storage may be due to a separate partition or container on one of the other drives. Two of those drives will be physical drives, and the third will be the synthesized Fusion Drive (or possibly a synthesized Container like disk3 if the Fusion Drive is broken).

I'm not aware of any specific documentation, although I am sure someone has some more details. The most I am aware of are these two Apple articles which only partially touch on the subject of the new drive layouts.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

The swap file is now the "VM" container for "virtual machine" (aka swap), while "Recovery" is the old local Recovery partition, and there is now an "Update" volume where macOS system updates are prepared. I'm not really sure about the "Preboot" volume. With M1 Macs, there are even more changes including a separate physical partition called "Recovery"which I only recently discovered in addition to the "Recovery" volume within the OS APFS Container (again, I have only seen it on my M1 Mac and have no idea why the changes or how these two "Recovery" items differ or even work now), plus the M1 Macs have other hidden partitions/volumes that must exist and never be touched or the M1 Mac won't boot (not sure if it would even be able to access DFU mode for being able to "Restore" the firmware).

FYI, Apple has been making changes to the drive layouts with each release of macOS since 10.15 (sometimes just a tiny change, but a change none the less). Also, beginning with Big Sur or Monterey, macOS is now hiding a lot of the information of the drive layouts even when using the command line. Beginning with macOS 10.15+, macOS has two APFS volumes representing what used to be just a single volume/partition "Macintosh HD". macOS does some behind the scenes magic to hide this separation from the end user, but with later versions of macOS some of these "links" are nearly impossible to see even from the command line.

Jun 25, 2022 3:21 PM in response to Richard Hurley

Thanks for the suggestion! Here's what Terminal returned for Container disk3:

Richards-iMac:~ rich$ diskutil list internal

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +41.0 GB    disk3

Physical Store disk1s3

1:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 20.5 KB    disk3s2

2:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                20.5 KB    disk3s3

3:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      17.2 GB    disk3s4

I've never looked at this level of storage before. Wasn't aware that separate Preboot and Recovery volumes were required. This readout allowed me to google "APFS Volume VM" and get some idea of what's going on here. Thanks!

While chasing this down, I found that available Disk Utility documentation didn't go into this level of detail. Do you happen to know of any Apple literature that explains what's going on at this level of storage? I'm not a system admin, but I like to look under the hood from time to time – at least have some idea of whether my storage system is kosher.

Jun 25, 2022 9:11 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the info and links!

I'll append the full diskutil list internal report for my internal Fusion drive, but I should stress that this isn't a troubleshooting request. As far as I know, everything is working. I just wanted to learn more about what I was seeing in Disk Utility.

It's been a couple of years since I reviewed my data organization and backup scheme, and there have been some ad hoc decisions that need to be re-examined and some inconsistencies that need to be ironed out. I was just at the stage of collecting volume & device info and creating a data-flow chart in Illustrator when I noticed those "not mounted" volumes and snapshots and realized that I didn't know enough to pass on whether the system is healthy. (Unidentified, unreadable system parts make me nervous.) From what I've seen and read so far, it doesn't appear that anything is amiss, but I want to take the opportunity brush up on AFPS before I start scripting in ChronoSync.

Very much appreciate your help and the links you sent!

Here's the readout from the diskutil list request:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk2⁩         121.1 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1

1:                        EFI ⁨EFI⁩                     209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk2⁩         2.0 TB     disk1s2

3:                 Apple_APFS ⁨Container disk3⁩         41.0 GB    disk1s3

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +2.1 TB     disk2

Physical Stores disk0s2, disk1s2

1:                APFS Volume ⁨RHiMac - Data⁩           503.8 GB   disk2s1

2:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 361.3 MB   disk2s2

3:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                1.1 GB     disk2s3

4:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      1.1 MB     disk2s4

5:                APFS Volume ⁨CEM⁩                     100.0 GB   disk2s5

6:                APFS Volume ⁨BRB⁩                     169.7 GB   disk2s6

7:                APFS Volume ⁨RHiMac⁩                  15.2 GB    disk2s7

8:              APFS Snapshot ⁨com.apple.os.update-...⁩ 15.2 GB    disk2s7s1

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +41.0 GB    disk3

Physical Store disk1s3

1:                APFS Volume ⁨Preboot⁩                 20.5 KB    disk3s2

2:                APFS Volume ⁨Recovery⁩                20.5 KB    disk3s3

3:                APFS Volume ⁨VM⁩                      17.2 GB    disk3s4

Richards-iMac:~ rich$ 

Jun 26, 2022 3:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

It looks like a remnant of installing a second OS on the drive.

Are you referring to /dev/disk3 (synthesized)? If so, then yes, that is quite likely. 41 GB looks like about the size of a volume I would create to install a new OS so that I could test it before upgrading globally. I now do my new OS testing on another machine, but this used to be our lead machine and would have been a likely subject for a test-OS drive install.

This machine is quite old (late 2015) and has been hanging around, waiting to be replaced by an Apple-silicon 27" iMac, if such a thing ever arrives. It's got a lot of history. It's also got enough space so that 41 GB staying out of service would not affect its performance. Or perhaps the remnant has never been required by the OS, but would be available if needed. ??

Jun 26, 2022 4:08 PM in response to Richard Hurley

FYI, to further the lesson.... the synthesized volume "disk3" does not appear to be part of the Fusion Drive, but is a separate Container/volumes on the physical hard drive. Notice the information in "disk2" where it mentions both "disk0" and "disk1" which shows that "disk2" is your Fusion Drive as it is combining both the SSD & HD. Also the Containers on both "disk0" & "disk1" mention "disk2" which is a further indication that these two drives are part of the Fusion Drive setup.

"disk3" volumes are only part of the "disk1s3" Container located only on the hard drive.

Disk Utility "x Not Mounted" meaning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.