Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new 7th gen ipad - Battery life only 4hrs max – Video playback

I have a brand new 7th gen iPad. I watch a lot of Sling TV on my iPad. Unfortunately the battery is down to 60% in 1.5 hrs. By this rate I will only get 4hrs of battery if I continue to watch. I checked which apps are using my battery and I see that SlingTV shows 100%. A visit to Apple store for this issue resulted in they resetting my iPad and reconfiguring it as a new iPad but it hasn’t helped in increasing the battery life. iPad is suppose to give close to 9hrs of video playback, right? I wonder if others are also experiencing this issue. I have a 4year old LG Tablet that is giving better battery life than my iPad running the same App. Another aspect worth mentioning is that SlingTV does require access to location to provide local channels. I wonder if it tries to keep searching for location every few second, that will definitely kill battery especially if I am indoors.

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 12:09 PM

Hello,

It may be worth it to have Apple run a battery diagnostic on your iPad. It may also be that Sling TV’s application is not fully optimized and could be consuming more system resources then it should. The quoted 9 hours of video playback is conducted by using Apple’s TV application.

Contact AppleCare

4 replies

Dec 23, 2019 2:18 PM in response to mithun1977

One of the biggest culprits of battery usage is also screen brightness.

It is better for battery longevity if the screen brightness is turned down to a level that is still viewable, but is NOT 100% screen brightness.

Apple even states this in the battery usage specs.

From the Apple new, 7th gen iPad Tech Specs Webpage

“Testing conducted by Apple in August 2019 using preproduction iPad (7th generation) units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and internet browsing using Wi‑Fi or cellular data network. Video content was a repeated 2‑hour 23‑minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store. Internet over Wi‑Fi and cellular data network tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi‑Fi was associated with a network (except for internet browsing over cellular data network); the Wi‑Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto‑Brightness were turned off; Brightness was set to 50%; and WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.”

Brand new 7th gen ipad - Battery life only 4hrs max – Video playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.