Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Down Arrows Labeled "Folders"

Within a couple days of upgrading my computer to Catalina, a couple weird and totally useless icons appeared on my desktop. They are a couple of down arrows with the word 'Folders' underneath the arrows. They do nothing but sit there looking useless and do not respond when clicked on. Here's a screenshot of a small portion of the desktop with the two icons. Any suggestions for getting rid of them?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 24, 2019 6:19 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 25, 2019 8:49 AM in response to trailsnet

trailsnet wrote:

Within a couple days of upgrading my computer to Catalina, a couple weird and totally useless icons appeared on my desktop. They are a couple of down arrows with the word 'Folders' underneath the arrows. They do nothing but sit there looking useless and do not respond when clicked on. Here's a screenshot of a small portion of the desktop with the two icons. Any suggestions for getting rid of them?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/2f5e15f2-c81a-45f3-a9b8-b6c4e485aa89

Interesting— looks third part(?) See from the Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

From the terminal see what it will list for your Desktop, copy and paste:

ls ~/Desktop

To see the content of each, copy and Paste:

ls -R ~/Desktop

To see permissions, date of origin, etc. copy and paste:

ls -al  ~/Desktop

Did you try a SafeBoot(?)  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache. You can log in and take a look at your Desktop. Reboot as normal.

Down Arrows Labeled "Folders"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.