Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resizing Folder Windows Beyond Screen Limit

Hi Folks,

Got a bit of a weird one today. I like a well maintained folder, and for some of these this involves putting item icons in various columns and rows. I mainly do this for work docs and pdfs. The issue is that sometimes I want to move items into columns and rows going beyond the limit of the folder screen. In previous iterations of Mac OSs, this would be as simple as dragging the item to the edge of the folder, and then it would begin to scroll down. However, at some point this function became no longer in operation.

Perhaps there's an easy solution, but could someone let me in on how I can drag files beyond the limit of my screen, to scroll down and put it in a place beyond there? I don't want to just press cmd+d a million times, to get an extra row.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 2:59 PM

With the finder window open click on View in the menubar and select Show View Options and make sure

Group By and Sort By are both set to None if you want to have control where files and folders are placed.

I have no problems with with the widow scrolling when moving files to the bottom of the window.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2019 2:59 PM in response to Tony_AH

With the finder window open click on View in the menubar and select Show View Options and make sure

Group By and Sort By are both set to None if you want to have control where files and folders are placed.

I have no problems with with the widow scrolling when moving files to the bottom of the window.

Dec 25, 2019 2:06 PM in response to Tony_AH

I'm using this image as an example. This folder has the icons in a certain constellation. As you can see, the items are arranged to get all the way from the top to the bottom of the folder. What I would want to do, as an example, is place an item below 'Chapter 1 Draft 2' in the first column. However, as can be seen, the screen will only allow me to maximise the window so far, and not far enough such that I can place an item naturally below this, in the same way I could for any other row.

In previous iterations of the OS, it was as simple as dragging the file to the bottom of the window. The folder window would then naturally start scrolling down, and I could release it where I may. Now, if I try to do that, the icon will automatically revert to as far to the top of the folder as it can.

To reiterate: this image extends from the top to the bottom of my screen. The folder window cannot be extended further than this. These icons, then, are arranged to take up the maximum height and width of the screen in rows and columns. How, when I drag an icon, could I place them further to the right, or further to the bottom of this arrangement? Dragging the item to the edge of the folder no longer achieves the scrolling that was functional in previous iterations of the OS, and simply places the icon at the top.

What I want to do is this:

I want to place the item selected below that icon. But when I release it here it does not create a new row (for which I would need to scroll down), but rather bounces to the top of the folder as opened.

I hope that makes sense!

Dec 25, 2019 1:54 PM in response to BDAqua

I want to drag it within the same folder. So I want to drag it to a new spot in the same folder beyond the limit of its current size (and my screen).

As an example: my folder is a size that allows a 7x7 constellation of icons. I then want to make it 8x7. So I make the folder bigger. Once I get to 9x9 it is the size of the whole screen on my iMac. But then I want to move a file below the 9th column, to make it 10x9. Or perhaps I want to leave a row or two empty, and put it below, to make it 12x9.

In previous versions of the OS it was as simple as dragging the file near the edge of the opened folder boundaries to make it scroll further out. I can then drop the file within the same folder as far from the original files as I liked. At some stage this functionality was eliminated, so when I try to drop a file just below the limits of my screen, it auto-places it right at the top of the folder.

To clarify: I have an opened folder. I want to move a file within that same folder to another spot in the folder. This spot is beyond the boundaries of what my screen will allow that opened folder window to be when fully maximised. I want, however, to place the file lower on the folder than this, and so create a new row for icons. I no longer know how this is achieved on the current OS.

Dec 25, 2019 3:40 PM in response to Eau Rouge

That worked, thanks!

But can I say, what an insanely complex system this now is. I have to turn off and on snap to grid when organising my folder in this way. And half the time I need to close and reopen the window before the scrolling 'takes'. There has to be a better way to organise such a simple function as this.

Resizing Folder Windows Beyond Screen Limit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.