Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

akamaihd

I got this bad boy akamaihd installed in my mac, has blocked me from delete it in Chrome Settings manage search engines, (unable to use the dropdown menu from the three dots next to akamaihd.

Removed all extensions, cleaned all history, cookies and cashes.

No suspicious applications installed.

The list in Setting - Privacy & Security is empty, so it is the one in Login Items in Users & Privacy.

I have run different anti-viruses and MalwareBytes with no results.

The default search engine gone back to Google in Safari, but it is very stubborn in Chrome, I tried to find where akamaihd installed itself with intentions to remove it manually but no luck.

Any idea folks?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 2:50 AM

21 replies

Feb 20, 2020 3:09 PM in response to EzequielIGB

How to remove  Any Search manager, lkysearchds4649-a.akamaihd.net.,  

SafeFinder, Search Pulse, SearchMine,  SearchMaster,  

Search Barron, Search Marquis,  SOCKS, UpgradeSearchSystem,  We know,   etc.

Note: Malwarebytes for Mac will remove malware installed on your Mac..

But these malware being very invasive, will change user settings.

A user has to reset those settings.

Go step by step and test.

1. Remove unknown profiles if present.

System Preferences > Profiles

Open System Preferences,  select “General and click  the “Profiles” icon ( a checkmark on a gear) .

When Profiles pane opens, select the unknown profile and click the minus button at the bottom

Section: Remove a configuration profile from your Mac

Profiles: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/configuration-profiles-standardize-settings-mh35561/mac

2. Remove unknown extensions:  Safari > Preferences > Extensions

https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/use-safari-extensions-sfri32508/mac

3. Check for adware.

Run the latest release of Malwarebytes for Mac to remove malware/adware, if installed on your Mac.

For instructions: Install Malwarebytes for Mac v4      Uninstall Malwarebytes for Mac

Click the “Scan Now” button. Once done, quit Malwarebytes for Mac.

Restart the computer and relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

Scan for Malware again.

Additional steps  if necessary.

4. Reset search engine:    https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/customize-your-search-ibrwe75c2a3c/mac

5. Reset  Homepage.   https://support.apple.com/guide/safari/set-your-homepage-ibrw1020/mac 

6. Check proxies. SOCKS?

System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies

Deselect   any  proxies if selected.     

7. Restart your Mac. Relaunch Safari holding the Shift key down. 

If Safari's home page is stuck

In some cases, after being changed by adware or malware, Safari's home page can become stuck. You will be able to edit the Homepage field in Safari's preferences, but the change will not stick. This appears to be a bug, and there is an odd workaround. Try this:

1. In Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.

2. In the window that opens, click the General icon (if necessary)

3. Enter your desired home page in the "Homepage" field, but DO NOT press return!

4. At the top of the window, click any of the other icons (eg, Tabs, AutoFill, etc).

5. You may see a prompt asking for confirmation for changing the home page. If so, confirm.

6. Switch back to the General page and check to make sure the home page has been changed.

Credit:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/236261-how-to-remove-weknow-malware-and-others/

You can also try resetting Homepage in Safe Mode.  safe mode

Startup in Safe Mode. Login to your account.

Launch Safari.

Reset Homepage.

Once done, click  in the menu bar and choose "Restart"

Chrome

Reset Chrome. Reset Chrome settings to default - Google Chrome Help

Dec 26, 2019 4:41 PM in response to EzequielIGB

I am having the same problem! This virus has hijacked my search in Google Chrome. I've done all the fixes I could find out there (removing extensions, resetting Chrome, looking in my applications and in Activity Monitor), but to no avail. I have not yet tried some kind of Mac cleaner as I'm afraid to download anything else.

This problem had been plaguing me for a few weeks, and I could just remove it when it overtook my search default, but now when I try to remove the search helper I click the MORE dots and don't get any choices; I just get this blank mini box.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dec 31, 2019 12:37 AM in response to Mountainmint

Mountainmint,

Thank you for staying in touch, I have found an alternative if you don't want to pay for such a thing, God knows how much they will charge you and will never know how to solve it.

akamaihd is the most persistent malware I have ever had in my laptop, normally would go by simply removing the extension and setting chrome back to your desired search engine, but would keep coming to my computer till this has happened.

I have created a new profile, in System Preferences/Users & Groups, moved my personal files to a shared folder so I can copy them in the new profile.

Every software that you have in your new profile will go and take you through the process of first time run, but hey, worked for me.

Hope it works for you too, and if you get to know how to get rid of akamaihd when doesn't want to leave, would love to know.

Thanks again

Feb 11, 2020 8:43 AM in response to EzequielIGB

I have been equally frustrated by this tenacious bit of malware. Go to your Mac System Preferences, where there should be a Profiles icon. Inside will be 1 or more (I had 2) profiles connected to akamihd; they were the only profiles I had on mine. When I deleted them (highlight and press the - button underneath), I restarted Chrome and all was back to normal.

Good luck!

Feb 11, 2020 1:57 PM in response to EzequielIGB

EzequiellGB,

I went with your solution for awhile of creating a second user. That worked, but it caused havoc with syncing with my contacts in iMessages. Suddenly most people were just phone numbers instead of names. I couldn't figure that out either!

So I went back to my original user, PURCHASED Malwarebytes, and that didn't take care of it either. However, I submitted a ticket to them and they had EXCELLENT customer service! They gave me a special something-or-other to open and run and voila! It's gone!

Definitely worth the $30.

Good luck.

Mar 19, 2020 6:46 PM in response to EzequielIGB

Wow, I spent weeks on this, looked through every file and process. Updated everything. Then: I find out it's a Profile!

Literally just went to System Preferences, clicked on Profiles, saw a strange profile, deleted it--> no more problems in Chrome.

("managed by your organization" is gone)

Oh my gosh, what a headache. AHHH.

akamaihd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.