Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet recovery not working.

Hey guys,

Just following the guide by Apple to restore Mac back to factory and now I have internet recovery not working.

It boots into internet recovery, picks my main wifi (doesn't ask for password), then hangs at the rotating earth screen, no error messages or anything.

Any recommendations?

I don't have ethernet, please don't suggest that.

Device is a late 2012 13" MacBook Pro retina.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 1:32 PM

Try an SMC reset & PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

With your laptop powered off, reboot both the modem & router. Once both the modem & router are fully booted (give them at least five minutes to finish booting), then try Internet Recovery Mode again to see if you are now prompted for the WiFi password.

Or you can take the laptop to friend or family member's house to try a different WiFi network.

If you have access to another Mac, then you can download and create a bootable macOS USB installer.

Using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter and an Ethernet cable to connect directly to your router is the best & easiest way to solve the problem. Otherwise if none of the resets I mentioned work, then you will need to modify your router's WiFi settings at least temporarily until you are finished with Internet Recovery Mode. How and what you modify on the router varies by router manufacturer and model so you are unlikely to get any further assistance here.

Edit: Added links to SMC & PRAM resets.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 1:32 PM in response to andyjw92

Try an SMC reset & PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes so it activates several times).

With your laptop powered off, reboot both the modem & router. Once both the modem & router are fully booted (give them at least five minutes to finish booting), then try Internet Recovery Mode again to see if you are now prompted for the WiFi password.

Or you can take the laptop to friend or family member's house to try a different WiFi network.

If you have access to another Mac, then you can download and create a bootable macOS USB installer.

Using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter and an Ethernet cable to connect directly to your router is the best & easiest way to solve the problem. Otherwise if none of the resets I mentioned work, then you will need to modify your router's WiFi settings at least temporarily until you are finished with Internet Recovery Mode. How and what you modify on the router varies by router manufacturer and model so you are unlikely to get any further assistance here.

Edit: Added links to SMC & PRAM resets.

Internet recovery not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.