Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder is unresponsive when selecting several files.

Hi Everyone,

I'm at my wit's end right now. Has anyone had this problem?

In the finder when I select too many files (right around 1,000 or 1,500) I get the spinning beachball and finder becomes unresponsive. In the past I've selected way more than that to copy and paste and it did it without any hiccups. It does this with raw images & jpegs. I haven't been able to test it on other files. I believe it started doing this with the Catalina 10.15.2 update but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone help me?

Here are the things I've done to try and fix or find the issue and it didn't work:

• restart computer
  • reset RAM, PRAM, etc.
  • complete restore of Catalina
  • tested to see if it only does it on only external drives but it does it on internal and external

The only workaround I've found is copying a folder that contains all the files. But I can't select all the files in the folder. I need to be able to select the files in folder to move them.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 7:35 AM

6 replies

Dec 29, 2019 2:09 PM in response to q.charles1991

Hi q.charles1991,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that since updating to macOS Catalina 10.15.2, you can no longer select, copy, and paste and move more than 1,000 - 1,500 files without the Mac becoming unresponsive.

I'm glad to help with this.

You've done some good troubleshooting already, so let's isolate a little more.

• You mentioned that you've selected more to copy and paste in the past. Are you using copy and paste functions now to move files? If you are, what happens if you select the files, and drag them to the new location?
  • Test in a new administrative user, to rule out any issues with your main account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let me know what happens.

Best Regards.

Jan 15, 2020 8:18 AM in response to q.charles1991

Hi q.charles1991,

Since this happens in a new user, next try restarting in safe mode.

1. Shut down the Mac by holding the power button for 5-7 seconds.

2. Restart and immediately hold down the Shift key.

3. Release the Shift key when you see the login window.

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker when logging in to safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. The following article has more details on safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Test to see if you can copy the files while in safe mode. Then, shut down again and restart normally, and test again.

Take Care.

Finder is unresponsive when selecting several files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.