Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder hang-up problem still in 10.15.7

I am having the problem of the Finder hanging up in OSX Catalina 10.15.7 while trying to move files. It is a late 2012 iMac with 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor and a 1.2Gb Fusion drive. I have been running this version of Catalina for some time, but the problem started after I moved a number of very large files (folders with hundreds of photos and photos library packages) and iCloud is still catching up.

I have run the disk utility first aid on all disk images but that did not help.

Other apps like Folder Sync 2 are not showing any problems.

In Finder, I can move one or two files once, but on subsequent attempts or if I try to move a lot, the finder hangs up the whole computer. I cannot relaunch The Finder with the CTRL-click option and cannot

open Force Quit. I can force quit only by using the Activity Monitor if I remember to have it open and at least partly visible before the problem occurs; otherwise, I have to power off and reboot.

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 9:57 AM

No Apple products that I know of, I would recommend starting with the Mac App store to see if there are any duplicate finding apps. If you find some that look promising, create a new thread and ask about them.

BTW, if you feel this thread has been answered, please mark it as such that may help another user in the future.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 9:57 AM in response to AndyEdinburgh

No Apple products that I know of, I would recommend starting with the Mac App store to see if there are any duplicate finding apps. If you find some that look promising, create a new thread and ask about them.

BTW, if you feel this thread has been answered, please mark it as such that may help another user in the future.

Oct 26, 2020 8:46 AM in response to AndyEdinburgh

You can save you and us a lot of time and effort of playing 20 questions if you do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Oct 28, 2020 8:45 AM in response to rkaufmann87

OK. Uninstalled Sophos and rebooted.

I installed the free version of Malware, which just does a scan. It found 20 items, which I quarantined. I rebooted again. Do you recommend a subscription? (This seems to contradict your advice about third party apps?)

Here is the new EtreCheck report.

Do you recommend a cleanup app such as CleanMyMacX? (The reviews seem to be good).

Are apps like Duplicate Photo Fixer and duplicate File Finder OK?

Oct 28, 2020 9:38 AM in response to rkaufmann87

1. If not CMM, is there an Apple product that clears up clutter that is unwanted but not infected?
  2. I have 6,000 duplicate images due to the problem that Photos now exports images as .jpeg files, where it used to use .jpg. The 'already imported' detection feature of Photos regards these as different images. I therefore need a duplicate finder. I'll post a new discussion as you suggested.

The finder does not seem to be hanging up any more, so this problem is solved. Many thanks for your help :-)

Oct 28, 2020 7:54 AM in response to AndyEdinburgh

There are some problems with your system. First, you have Sophos antivirus installed which at best is a 100% waste and could be the cause of your problem. The antivirus, security, cleaning and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. Simply keep Mac OS up-to-date and otherwise leave it alone and it will perform well for years. Adding third party antivirus apps to Mac OS have the exact opposite effect users want, they add zero level of additional security but succeed in making Mac OS slow, appear buggy and unstable!

Please locate the Sophos instructions to uninstall Sophos and uninstall it per those directions.

Next you downloaded some adware, please install Malwarebytes and use that to remove the adware.

After doing these actions (uninstall Sophos & use Malwarebytes to uninstall the adware) then post a fresh EtreCheck report.

Oct 28, 2020 9:12 AM in response to AndyEdinburgh

A subscription is not needed but you may want to run it 1x a month. Just add that as a to do in your calendar or use Reminders to do it.

NEVER EVER install any third party cleaning app such as CMM!

As far as duplicate finders, you can use them but when considering one ask on these forums about it and perhaps an experienced user can advise based on their knowledge of that product. Personally I don't use any although I have tens of thousands of photos, music and movies. When I add media I am careful to check to see if I already may have it already in my library before I add it again.

Finder hang-up problem still in 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.