Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to Reinstall OS X

hi I recently got a used MacBook Air on eBay and I know they had to reset it before selling it to me but I don’t know how to redownload it. Please help, thank you.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 11:14 AM

Which model year of MacBook Air? If you’re not sure, the model code will be a mix of letters and digits and maybe a slash, and it’ll usually be in tiny print on the bottom of the MacBook Air.

Back up and select something other than the recovery disk, if there’s something else showing. If not, it would appear there’s no hard disk or no SSD installed, or there’s a problem with the hard disk or SSD. If you back up to the first screen and seledr Disk Utility, see if you find a storage device displayed other than the Recovery. The target disk or SSD should be formatted GPT GUID partitioning with the HFS+ file system, if you’re installing something as old as Mavericks OS X 10.9.

I’d suggest usinf Option-⌘-R here too, to (re)load the most recent version of macOS supported. That may not be available in an older Mac, but it’s worth a try.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Spyncer

Which model year of MacBook Air? If you’re not sure, the model code will be a mix of letters and digits and maybe a slash, and it’ll usually be in tiny print on the bottom of the MacBook Air.

Back up and select something other than the recovery disk, if there’s something else showing. If not, it would appear there’s no hard disk or no SSD installed, or there’s a problem with the hard disk or SSD. If you back up to the first screen and seledr Disk Utility, see if you find a storage device displayed other than the Recovery. The target disk or SSD should be formatted GPT GUID partitioning with the HFS+ file system, if you’re installing something as old as Mavericks OS X 10.9.

I’d suggest usinf Option-⌘-R here too, to (re)load the most recent version of macOS supported. That may not be available in an older Mac, but it’s worth a try.

unable to Reinstall OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.