You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!!!! Accidentally erased the VOLUME GROUP instead of volume data!

HELP!!!! I was erasing the disk on my iMac (late 2013) to reinstall the OS and give to my son but I accidentally erased the VOLUME GROUP! Now there's no where to install the OX. Is there a way to fix this?!

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 7:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 4:41 PM

Thanks!

and if anyone else does this....the store did exactly what I though I needed to do but was to chicken to do for fear I was wrong. They erased the disk and repartitioned it then loaded the OS X.

13 replies

Dec 27, 2019 11:28 AM in response to songbird69

When you turn it on immediately hold down Command + R (you may need a USB keyboard) and restore from Time Machine then. If you cannot do that then your next step is to take it and the Time Machine External Hard Disk to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be serviced. That is logical as you are getting no-where trying to do this yourself.

HELP!!!! Accidentally erased the VOLUME GROUP instead of volume data!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.