Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPS Backup Battery Power error message on iMac

Hi

For the past 2 days, I've gotten an error message pop-up saying "Warning! Your computer is now running on UPS backup battery power. Save your documents and shut down soon." (see attached screenshot)

I do not have a UPS device installed and the iMac is connected directly to the power outlet at all time. I do not know why I am getting this error message. Both the times that it flashed, I clicked "Ok" and carried on. The computer did not shut down.

I'm running a 2017 21.5-inch 4K iMac with macOS Catalina 10.15.2 installed.

Is this some sort of early-warning sign that the iMac is going to stop working soon?

D

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2019 3:58 AM

8 replies

Jan 2, 2020 7:21 AM in response to dontpanic79

Well, that remains unknown. :(

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Jan 3, 2020 5:45 AM in response to dontpanic79

No idea where the UPS warning is coming from.

You do have Spigot adware. Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac. It’s the only one recommended by Apple tech support folks.

You have AppCleaner, uninstall as per the developer's instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system. Your Mac has all the built-in protection you need.

After that restart and run another Etrecheck. Could be that the UPS warning is kicking in from the adware?

Jan 3, 2020 10:45 AM in response to dontpanic79

Besides mj's solid advice, delete these files & restart...

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.edovia.screensconnect.daemon.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.codingcurious.Otomatic.Helper.plist

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1 Go to the Finder (or desktop).

2 Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.

3 With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Method 3:

1 Click anywhere on the desktop so Finder is the name of the foreground app shown at the upper left.

2 Press Command+Shift+H

3 With your home folder open, press Command+J. This the only place you'll see a check box to Show Library Folder. Turn it on.

Method 4: Press ⇧⌘. —the command-shift-period chord—to toggle the display of the hidden files, and the Library folder will then become visible in your home directory. And will become invisible, when you press that chord again.

From now on, your user account Library folder will be visible without having to use special keys or commands to get there.

UPS Backup Battery Power error message on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.